• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pauliner1

pauliner1

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:54 PM

Hello, I am new to this so please bear with me. My name is Pauline and I live in Hertfordshire, I have a 13 year old tortoise who has laid two eggs over the last few days, is this normal as she does not have a male companion, since laying her second egg she has buried herself in her indoor vivarium.Attached File  image.jpg   80KB   34 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   88.19KB   35 downloads. This is her outdoor enclosure, but I am still waiting for the turf to finish it off. 

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

Firstly that enclosure is fine without turf. Turfed areas are not generally good for tortoises.

Have you not had the tort long, that you are making it a new enclosure? If not and there is a chance of her having been with a male in the past, then she needs to be put into an enclosure ASAP with soil etc where she can lay her eggs, if there is a possibility of there being more. Vivariums are very stressful for tortoises, especially if they have come from a more natural enclosure previously and if they are gravid (carrying eggs) they will hang on as long as they possibly can and could even become eggbound, while waiting for somewhere to lay them. A thirteen year old tortoise will need a larger area and certainly not indoors at this time of year.

I would say the first most important thing is to to get her out of the viv and into a natural enclosure with backup heating for poor weather days. Give her lots of warm baths to encourage her to pay any further eggs, but do make sure she has somewhere suitable to lay them, such as a sunny enclosure with soil at least one and half times as deep as she is long.

Good luck ;)

#3 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

Hello Pauline, welcome to the forum. Wizzer has given you great advice. I would certainly get your tort outside as soon as you can with a mound of soil so she can dig a hole with her back legs to lay her eggs. When my tort laid eggs she did it in two 'batches' so she could have more inside her ready to lay. They like nice warm soil.... In my enclosure I tipped out a couple of bags of top soil on a south facing wall and hoped she would notice!!!! She didn't.,,. But maybe next time x x hugs x x

#4 pauliner1

pauliner1

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

Firstly that enclosure is fine without turf. Turfed areas are not generally good for tortoises.

Have you not had the tort long, that you are making it a new enclosure? If not and there is a chance of her having been with a male in the past, then she needs to be put into an enclosure ASAP with soil etc where she can lay her eggs, if there is a possibility of there being more. Vivariums are very stressful for tortoises, especially if they have come from a more natural enclosure previously and if they are gravid (carrying eggs) they will hang on as long as they possibly can and could even become eggbound, while waiting for somewhere to lay them. A thirteen year old tortoise will need a larger area and certainly not indoors at this time of year.

I would say the first most important thing is to to get her out of the viv and into a natural enclosure with backup heating for poor weather days. Give her lots of warm baths to encourage her to pay any further eggs, but do make sure she has somewhere suitable to lay them, such as a sunny enclosure with soil at least one and half times as deep as she is long.

Good luck ;)

I have had Tobina for 10 years, she has been brought up in a vivarium since the age of 3, she also has the whole of the house to wander around. Is it not to cold to leave her outside. The new enclosure has been updated. She also laid her first egg in the viv.

#5 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:01 PM

Hello Pauline.... My torts live outside.... Tort lodge and greenhouse extension.... With heater and uv lamps when necessary. Outside is really the best place for torts. They wander about doing tortoisy things, you will love to watch her.
I don't really know about the egg laying. Ten years seems a long time to hold onto sperm ... ... ( see wizzer..... I'm learning) x x x hugs x x

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

Hi there. If there is sun, it is perfect for tortoises. Your tortoise is obviously adult now and although you probably feel you have been protecting her by keeping her in a viv, it's actually far from ideal. A tortoise basking in the sun, even on a cool day, will be much warmer to touch than a tortoise in a very hot room in a house, this is because of how the shell is taking in warmth, it's a very efficient heat exchanger. Tortoises given the run of a house, even a hot one cannot digest their food properly as they need to bask at 32 degrees (the shell not the weather) to be able to do the job properly. All of my torts from 200 grams to 2+ kilo's are out 24/7 now with access via catflaps to their permanent safe hides in the back of my garage. You do need to have a heat source for them here but no uvb as they will get more than enough from the sun, even on dull days.       

She won't be holding onto sperm as she would have been too young at three to mate ;)  I would keep her away from males for the moment and concentrate on getting her into a good outdoor enclosure where she can happily stay until September. She WILL most likely hide away at first which is a natural reaction to change, but will thank you for it and thrive in the long term - remember she is adult and has approx. 90 years to go yet, so she will thank you for this change in her life :D

If you do look for a male for her, bear in mind that you will need to have a couple more females and you may still need to have a separate large enclosure for your male.

Hope this helps ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hermann tortoise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users