• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Geordie Mark

Geordie Mark

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

I've just noticed some appears to be breaking off, there Seems to be new growth underneath but it looks so strange I thought best to ask, he's not had any changes to how he behaves or anything :S

We're talking about the left hand side here :)
null-44.jpg

null-46.jpg

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

Hi Mark,
The plastron can suffer from wear and tear. As long as there is new growth underneath I wouldn't worry. Best to ensure that the area is kept clean and dry to prevent any bacterial or fungal infection. Applying dilute iodine solution daily will help keep the area bacteria free. Hope this helps.
Take care.
Freddy

#3 Geordie Mark

Geordie Mark

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:35 PM

Thanks freddy, I thought that was the case but it can't do any harm to put it out there :)
I remember having to use savlon once for a dog bite on my other hermanns that passed away (before we got her) and it worked a treat we put a plaster over that piece with the savlon on too seemed to work lol !

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

Sorry, but that looks like shell rot to me. If he was mine I would be scrubbing it daily with povidone iodine which will cure it whether fungal or bacterial. You will need to do this daily without fail, for several weeks until there are no areas that are lifting and the area looks clean and the same as the rest of his shell ;)

Hope this helps.

#5 Geordie Mark

Geordie Mark

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

Ok sue where can I get this ? I will do it anyway, the central pieces have been like that for years as he had she'll rot before when I first got him but it was red :S
What causes it though ? I do my best for the little sod ha !

#6 Geordie Mark

Geordie Mark

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

Also do you mean scrub with a toothbrush ?

#7 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

Hi Mark,
I agree with Sue. I can see a small grey area were bacterial infection has already set in. You will have to take immediate action. A child's soft toothbrush would be the best to use. This will help stop further abrasion. Iodine comes in small bottles and can be bought at your local chemists. You will need to dilute it with water (10/1) to stop it from burning. Treatment should be daily and last at least a month or so. Shell rot usually starts from scute damage or abrasions, even if slight. These are vulnerable areas of the shell which become susceptible to bacterial or fungal infection. Sometimes old areas of shell rot can act up again so it is important to always be vigilant and keep a constant eye on things. Anyway Mark, I think you have caught the problem in the early stages so all should go well providing you act quickly and give the treatment. Please let us know how you get on. Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#8 Geordie Mark

Geordie Mark

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

Ill keep you all posted I will pop to the chemist tomorrow ! Good job I'm working nights !

#9 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:56 PM

Ok sue where can I get this ? I will do it anyway, the central pieces have been like that for years as he had she'll rot before when I first got him but it was red :S
What causes it though ? I do my best for the little sod ha !

If you use povidone (from any chemist) and dilute it around 1 in 5 with water, just brush it gently each day with a soft brush. If you can see the normal shell colour through it is healed, but if it is looks pitted or the shell around the area is loose, it is active. It's caused by either a fungus or bacteria getting into an area that is either damaged or damp ;)

#10 Geordie Mark

Geordie Mark

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

I couldn't get providpme today so got some other iodine and mixed it 10-1 and scrubbed him here's the results..

null-56.jpg
null-57.jpg

Whilst bathing him beforehand, I noticed this do these little areas look like the same thing ?

null-61.jpg
null-60.jpg

#11 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:25 PM

Hi Mark,
The iodine should do the trick. It is hard to tell from the photos whether the other areas are infected but it would do no harm treating these areas too. Best of luck.
Take care.
Freddy

#12 Geordie Mark

Geordie Mark

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

I did decide to just give his whole shell a brush over, should I be just leaving it to dry naturally though ? I've stuck a plaster over the pieces where the shell rot is on the plastron as he's having a garden day :)

#13 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

Hi again Mark,
Best to dry the areas were you have applied the iodine with cotton wool or a clean cloth. It is also better to leave the areas exposed to the air. Plasters and other dressings that cover the infected areas can cause the bacteria to grow. Grass is not a good substrate for torts and is very often were bacteria and fungus originate. You may have to consider using some topsoil in his outdoor area if you are to avoid these problems re-occurring in future. Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#14 Geordie Mark

Geordie Mark

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:17 PM

I will take it off when he comes in lol its just while he's out and about in the filth. He'll have to come in within the next hour anyway as I'm having to go to work "/

#15 Geordie Mark

Geordie Mark

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

I've taken the plaster off anyway !

#16 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

Hi Mark,
The iodine should do the trick. It is hard to tell from the photos whether the other areas are infected but it would do no harm treating these areas too. Best of luck.
Take care.
Freddy

Yes, they are similar areas, so do the whole shell. I would not use ordinary iodine though, it can damage shells deeper than the actual rot area. Look for povidone iodine, which is what hospitals use as scrubs. You would have to say it is for a human though as chemists are not licensed to sell it for animal use and may well refuse.
Rinse it off lightly after applying and allow to air dry, don't rub it once rinsed. As Freddy says, grass is not a good substrate, he needs soil and stones as in nature. Grass is one of the most frequent causes of shell rot ;)

#17 Geordie Mark

Geordie Mark

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

They looked at me like I had 10 heads today when I asked for it even ASDA chemist only carry strips, I am getting the proper one tomorrow as my fiancee's dad is a chemist he knew the crack so I watered it down to get me over for today. Thanks for the advice freddy & sue !

#18 Geordie Mark

Geordie Mark

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

Povidone iodine is obsolete now haven't been able to get it for over a year now have we any alternatives ?

#19 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

A quick Google search comes up with a few hits for providine iodine, such as this one: http://www.chemistdi...on_1_20573.html

I have never used this company, nor have I used the product, so I have no idea if it's the right stuff.

#20 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:31 PM

According to Tortoise Trust, povidone-iodine or chlorhexidine solution can be be used: http://www.tortoiset...s/shellrot.html.

Chlorhexidine is the active ingredient in some mouthwashes, including Corsodyl, so could this be used?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users