#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:41 AM

hi mobile.

this is dead nettle  http://www.thetortoi...9.asp?catID=397. :)

#3 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:22 AM

Hi mildredsmam, the pictures in your link are red or purple dead nettle Lamium purpureum. However, dead nettle comes in several varieties, such as white dead nettle Lamium album, which looks a little more like what I have - see here http://www.thetortoi...=main&catID=774. Looks like I'll probably have to wait for it to flower to be sure.

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

I always think of the red one as dead nettle, I don't pick it much my lot don't eat it. :)

#5 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

That one of yours Mobile is an ordinary nettle. Mine don't eat them but they eat both forms of dead nettle.

#6 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:11 AM

Mine eat dead nettle in all forms.  They might eat stinging nettle but I don't have the courage to pick it.......I don't feed until it flowers....because it scares me, but if you look closely the leaves of the dead nettle appear to be slightly 'softer' less sharp than the stinging variety. x x x 

#7 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:52 AM

That one of yours Mobile is an ordinary nettle. Mine don't eat them but they eat both forms of dead nettle.

Is ordinary nettle stinging nettle? If so, then mine does not sting - I was courageous enough to touch it.:D

I seen another load on my walk last night, which looked exactly the same and didn't sting either. It looks like it's near flowering, so I should be able to possitively ID it soon.

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:05 AM

You can sometimes touch stinging nettle without it stinging. I often bring some back by accident. It depends on how the stinging hair hit you. If you stroke a leaf on top, down bank it will not sting, but if you brush against he hairy edges of the leaves or try to pic it it will sting and leave red marks. The leaves on that nettle are def not dead nettle ;) The flowers are different too. On dead nettle they are properly formed little bell shaped groups of flowers but those of stinging nettle are smaller, more of them and in little clumps more like hedge parsley or elderflower.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: weed, ID, dead thistle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users