4 replies to this topic

#1 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

Hi

I've just recently become a new tort mummy. I got my tort from a friend and hate to admit but he was living in a Viv. I now have him in a temporary table top home whilst my uncle is building him a proper home. Another thing i hate to admit I had him on wood chip but read some posts today and am going out first thing tomorrow for top soil!!! I also hate to admit i have no idea how old he is or what he is (maybe 1 year old spur thigh) guessing 'he' is too young to find out the gender? I've currently got the combination bulb uv and heat and have a shoe box as make shift hide out for him.

Firstly I think we will have to identify what he is and then I will welcome all advice with open arms!!

Many thanks and look forward to hearing!

Attached Files

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:14 AM

hi loola,

welcome to the forum. :)

its good that your doing some research in to your new torts care, who's lovely by the way.

every one on the forum is very friendly and happy to help so any questions just ask.

did you get any paper's with the tortoise, as this will have species on. ;)

#3 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:27 AM

My friend has all the papers who is on holiday...DOH. However I wi be obtaining them when she returns. I really want the best for my little tortoise as probably hasn't had the best start re Viv. Going to buy some tort friendly plants tonight.

Really keen to get an outside enclosure up and running pictures for ideas would be fab.

Thank you for reply. :)

#4 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:20 PM

Hello Loola, welcome to the forum. For outdoor enclosure ideas have a look in the 'outdoor' section here. There are loads of different set ups from temp summer homes to bigger permanent outdoor gardens.
Plus there are threads which give advice about safe plants and the best substrates our members use. Be ready to make your own mind up as not everyone keeps their torts in the same way. However, what all the set ups show, everyone has a love of torts. Enjoy the forum and most of all enjoy your tort x x x hugs x x

#5 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

Hi Stella thanks for info and reply!

I've found out 'he' is spur thighed tort. Want to find out more about sizing and weight etc. Will the paper work tell me when he was born? Should I be weighing his food too? I've read a lot about being over fed and eating everything they're given.

Also since he's been in a Viv should I be taking him to a vet for a check up or if he's eating, walking and sleeping normally assume he's ok?

It's all very daunting but exciting. Love him loads already and just want to do what's best and seems I'm in the right place.

Sorry about all the questions just very keen to keep him happy and healthy! :) x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users