Photo

Starting Plans To Build Outdoor Enclosure!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

Hi

I'm a little new to the tortoise world (recently aquired a little spur thighed and think he is about 18 months but need to do some more research) from reading all the posts and concerns of others am learning really fast *phew*

As it seems best for the little tort am going to build outdoor area ASAP. Before I start want to plan things.

1. Is it essential to have outdoor heating? My garden layout won't permit this as easily as I would like but can fit it if essential.

2. Is it ok to just have a little wooden house and the outdoor section or is a cold frame needed too?

3. My tort is a baby should I still bring him indoors at night and gradually start brining him in later and later until I eventually leave him out overnight throughout summer or bring him indoors to his table every night until he's older?

Lots if questions, want to get things spot on, many thanks in advance!

#2 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

Hi

Thanks for reply.

Basically I'm moving in the next year so didn't want to spend too much money in our current garden as I said about heating etc outside would be quite difficult. In view of what you said for this summer I think I may build him an outdoor area for day time use so he gets time outside on the warm days and bring him in at night. Once I move will build a proper permanent set up with heating cold frame etc. do you think this would be ok?

Many thanks

Laura

#3 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

Just seen you're in Scotland...completely understand the bad weather comment haha!! However I think the whole of the uk has been like that up until the last couple of weeks, hope you get a good tortoise summer! And once again thank you for the reply.

Laura

#4 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

Just seen you're in Scotland...completely understand the bad weather comment haha!! However I think the whole of the uk has been like that up until the last couple of weeks, hope you get a good tortoise summer! And once again thank you for the reply.Laura

Bad weather in Scotland is a myth!!!! :-). I have had some gorgeous HOT holidays north of the England border!!!! It's the midges that you have to watch out for x x x

#5 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

Hahaha!! I'm in Portsmouth so we get some lovely weather! Because of water have to watch for midges too :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users