6 replies to this topic

#1 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

Hi everyone

Going to get some plants to put in the tortoise table and from what I've read I can include a spider plant, aloe Vera and prayer plant. Are there any plants that would be better? Also how many do you think I should include for indoor enclosure? It's 5' by about 2.5'. Sorry one last question...I'm currently using upside down shoe box with a hole cut for his hide...what would be a better more permanent hide?

Thank you

Laura

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:47 AM

hi laura,

spider plant's, aloe vera are fine to use in your enclosure, some times they don't last long as they get eaten or walked over that many times they die.

I also use yucca plants they seem to last well. ;)

you can have a look on here its tells you what's good to feed your tortoise but also tell's you what plants are good to use for enclosure's as well.

http://www.thetortoi...e/plants_19.asp

I don't use hides in any of my tables mine just dig down into the soil on night which is more natural.

if your still wanting to use a hide I think a lot use these  http://www.ebay.co.u...=item58a0b2f035

you can buy them in most pet shops. :)

#3 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

Ah brilliant thank you...I might just leave a hide out altogether then, More space for marching! Link also really helpful.

Many thanks

Laura

#4 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

Hello Laura, a hide for torts is a good idea.... They like to feel snug and safe.... As for plants for an indoor enclosure, this is tricky because of all the tramping about torts do.... Have you considered planting in pots.... I would place the pots a couple of inches above the substrate, so it is more climbing to destroy them than tramping over them... X x x x hugs x x

#5 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

Ah ha I see. Pots is good idea. Luckily there's a huge spider plant at work I can take plans from :) any suggestions for a hide Stella??

Thank you x

#6 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:29 PM

If you check out places that sell reptiles you can find tunnels and stick hides.... The last one I got was from pets r us!! I use them outside now, it was a piece of cork bark which was tunnel shaped ... An up turned plant pot works....
Just think...,. What is dark and my tort can access....,z x x hugs x x

#7 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

Lovely job thank you x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users