• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 elaine

elaine

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:57 PM

Hi all,  Little Elvis's wee is now brown instead of the normal clear fluid, first noticed a week ago.

He is now on an all weed diet and is eating and drinking ok, looks fine and is active as normal.

Have done some searches but all I can find is that eating loads of dandelions can cause a reddish brown colour. He hasn't had hardly any for the last 3 weeks though so surely it can't be that?

He has been in his outside enclosure a lot when it's been sunny - could the soil be anything to do with it? Any advice much appreciated.

Elaine

#2 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

Hello

I know dandelions cause the wee to go a reddish brown colour,what other weeds and plants does he eat? and hopefully someone can help.

Jaynex

#3 elaine

elaine

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

Hi Jayne

He's having forget me not, Sedum, clover and also petunia's and marigolds. He's also been munchin on the Hebe in his outside pen

Elaine

#4 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

Hello Elaine

not sure about the marigold's if that can effect the colour of the wee,my torts do not have brown wee with the clover,forget me knots and sedum.

Jaynex

#5 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

More than likely the diet - make sure he is well hydrated.

#6 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

Sue.... When torts are outside in an enclosure, how do you make sure they are well hydrated? Can we assume they will do it themselves from the water and food provided. Is there a chance that they won't drink from their water sources? I ask this as I am not sure whether one of mine is dehydrated as I 'found' some gritty urates one evening.
I have checked their eyes.... And bathed etc but cannot detect a tort in need of hydration . C x x hugs x

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

So long as you do not overdo the heating overnight and they have access to water at all times, they should not become dehydrated if on a varied diet. Too many dandelions will cause dehydration as they are diuretic. I do give mine the occasional spray with the hose on hot days, but humidity at ground level is naturally high overnight. If you bring them inside, this is a different matter, but they still should not need artificial bathing if water is available. In nature, no-one gives them water and they don't suffer from dehydration unless stressed, when they will often urinate. Other signs of dehydration are the eyes sitting lower in the head than normal and wanting to drink excessively.

#8 mobile

mobile

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

Hi Jayne

He's having forget me not, Sedum, clover and also petunia's and marigolds. He's also been munchin on the Hebe in his outside pen

Elaine

I presume you do not mean French marigolds, which apparently are not a suitable food?

Source: http://www.thetortoi...=main&catID=314

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users