• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:13 PM

Last week I posted about me torts claws. They really are too long I think, I've posted a pic for you guys to have a look at, let me know what you think and think and what you think I should do.

Many thanks

Laura

#2 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:17 PM

Hello Laura

if you put pieces of slate and stones in your torts enclosure it can help to keep the claws down.

Jaynex

#3 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:34 PM

Hi laura
I agree with jayne,this should keep their claws in shape,i feed mine on patio slabs in there outdoor encloser and never had any probs with over grown claws
Regards matt

#4 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

It would be good to see a photo if you ae worried Laura. Sometimes the claws look long but are ok. Mine have slates, stones and pebbles.... Plus hills and hollows to walk on but some seem to have over long claws... But I guess that is the way they are, if that makes sense x x x hugs x

#5 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

Really odd don't know why it didnt add it properly?! Sorry about that, here it is.Attached File  image.jpg   67.08KB   5 downloads

#6 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

Hmmm.... they do look a little on the long side..... but if you have loads of abrasive stones and slate in the enclosure, so should wear down naturally.  :)

#7 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

I have got lots of bits like that in enclosure. Hopefully they'll start to wear down, and you don't think they need intervention at the moment?

#8 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:34 PM

Hi Laura,
I would try what the others have said first. They should wear down and break naturally on a hard or abrasive surface. I wouldn't try to clip them myself as bleeding and permanent damage can be done to claws that are accidentally cut below the quick. If you are still unsure the safest thing to do is to have a good reptile vet clip them for you. Hope this helps. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#9 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:18 AM

Really odd don't know why it didnt add it properly?! Sorry about that, here it is.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Those claws look typical of a tortoise that has been kept on incorrect substrate, which it has not been able to grip on properly. They are just growing outward from the foot instead of having a natural strong curve. Has he been kept on newspaper at all? If he was mine, I would clip them and put him onto a soil substrate with plenty of slate pieces, rocks etc to encourage him to climb and develop strong leg muscles which will assist him with correct walking and therefore claw position.
Hope this helps

#10 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

His previous owner had him in a Viv. I've now got him on soil with rocks etc. do you think they'll wear naturally? Don't worry I wouldn't clip them myself anyway. Be too worried I'd do it wrong. Thanks for all the help everyone.

#11 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:09 PM

They might need clipping by a vet that knows what he/she is doing to enable him to get good purchase on correct substrate - getting him onto correct substrate will help, but they are at an odd angle, so might need a bit of help first to get them going in the right direction ;)

#12 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

Oh do they?? :-( worried about him now. Do you know of any good reptile vets in Portsmouth area? Poor little tortoise it's sad when they don't get the best start in life, just glad I've got him in a table now on the right substrate eating the right things. Thank you for all your help

#13 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

He would probably do far better outdoors, where he can use the ground to his advantage. Tables are great for either end of the season but outdoors is far better for them. All of mine have been outdoors since May and will be there until the beginning of September, with background heat of course for bad days.

#14 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

Oh yeah that's all part of my plan but only had him about a month so my main priority was something decent but temporary. I'm in the process of building something for outdoors but I'm moving in the next year so can't do anything too permanent. His table goes outside during the day when I'm at work. And he has freedom of the garden when I'm not so I can keep my eye on him so he doesn't get into harm or escape! I wish I could click my fingers and have perfect garden for him!

#15 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:48 AM

He will be fine in a temp enclosure outdoors for now, just be sure it is netted from large birds ;)
I have been here ten years with my torty garden and still the torts tell me what to change from time to time lol

#16 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

Hahaha I can imagine they do, I think a lot of people under estimate them...they are clever and have good memories!

And no worries it's like lock down before I go to work lol :-D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users