6 replies to this topic

#1 Archimedes88

Archimedes88

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

Hello!

Another new member to the group =) My name's Flora and I have inherited an 85 year old Tortoise, Archimedes, who is wonderful (and I think quite adorable!). Having never owned a tortoise before I have many questions I'm afraid. As I am not sure ass to where to post all of them on the site as of yet so I hope no one minds but I'm going to post a few of the ones I am most concerned about on here.

We moved this week from Norfolk to Wales and for reasons beyond my control we had to make the journey by train. Archimedes happily slept for most of the trip (we traveled during his sleeping pattern hours) and he ate a fair amount prior to leaving. Once we arrived I woke him up to see if he'd like to eat more and he just went straight back to sleep out of his shell. Next day he ate lots of Dandelion leaves mooched about and I came home to find him with all four limbs and his lead lolling out of his shell. Very concerned I woke him up as I was worried he had died while I was out! He has since been very sleepy and not been settling down to sleep as he usually does, I often come home from work to find him in the middle of a room (I am awaiting the arrival of his pen and table top) sleeping out of his shell - he usually prefers corners with everything tucked in. The only things I can think that may have caused this are either too many Dandelions (I know for many animals find them soporific) or stress from the journey. But having never had a tortoise I have no idea if they suffer from stress like this or if his diet is fine or what is wrong with him!

If anyone has any light they could shed on this for me, that would be great!

Looking forward to chatting with you all and sharing Archimedes and mines progress!

Flora =)

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:56 PM

Hi Flora,
Welcome to the forum. I am not too sure what could be wrong with Archimedes. Sounds like he could have been a little dehydrated. Tortoises can suffer from stress if placed in a new environment and can take time to adjust. See how he gets on over the next few days. Do keep an eye on him. In the meantime make sure you provide him with fresh water and plenty of shade. Hopefully there will be others along shortly to offer you more, helpful advice. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

Hello Flora, welcome to the forum. What species of tortoise is Archy ( his name is going to be a challenge to spell).
I agree with Freddy, torts do get very stressed when moved to a new environment, and more so particularly when they cannot hide and feel safe. I would bathe him to keep him hydrated, and sort him out a more suitable enclosure as soon as possible.
Someone is sure to be along soon with more helpful advice x x hugs x

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

How was he transported, this could be a factor? When transporting tortoises, they need to be kept as cold as possible and in very deep dense substrate (soil or coir)to cover the whole animal. This minimises stress and the cold keeps them inactive, meaning that head and legs are retracted and in sleeping position. It also lessens shock from road rumble (or train rocking). If he was loose in a box he would have been stressed and possibly urinated, meaning he needs rehydrating and putting in a quiet place to recover.

#5 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

That is interesting Sue.... The deep substrate, and cold... But it makes sense. X x x hugs x c

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

I've always transported mine like this and when my friend brings hers over from Jersey, she uses the overnight ferry, buries them all and the next morning they are still dug in and eat immediately they arrive and surface. I've seen people transport tortoises in boxes of hay, paper etc and they are always covered in poop, urine etc from the stress.

#7 Archimedes88

Archimedes88

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:55 AM

Thanks Freddy, Stella, and Sue. And hello back to each of you!

Archy has since picked up a cold, he's sneezing and chesty, that may well have been the cause. I transported him in a small basket box thing which was small enough he kinda had to stay inside his shell and while he was well packed in he wasn't buried in soil - I'll remeber that trick for anothertime! Other than being a bit sniffly he's settled in fine and is rampaging about the place and eating like a horse. We're off to the vets tomorrow so hopefully after that he'll be 100% after that :)

Thanks again for your advice guys =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users