- - - - -

Hello, Newbie Here :-)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_becciwales_*

Guest_becciwales_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

Hello, I'm Becci, I'm new here and on the hunt for information in order to prepare fully for a possible new addition to our family. So far, we have a dog and 2 guinea pigs. I've ALWAYS wanted a tortoise, my parents had 2 large tortoises before I was born and I've always wanted one since looking at the photos as a child. My hubby has said that he may buy me one for my 30th, (just over a year away) if we do the research and know what we're getting ourselves into. :-)

My first question is: I've read somewhere that an indoor rabbit cage is a suitable home for them, but I can't find that again. Is this the case?
Our garden is all slabbed so he/she could have a roam around on a hot day but a permanent outdoor enclosure isn't possible. Though, we would move the cage in and out so tortie would have the best of both worlds.

Bec xx

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:47 AM

hi becci welcome to the forum. :)

it's good to see your doing your research first before taking a tortoise on.

some do use thing's like rabbit cages as indoor enclosure's that work ok it's all about it been open and air flow, also the cage would need to be big enough that you can get a warm end and cool end.

it would be ok while the tortoise is small to take them out side in the rabbit cage, but you would need to think what you could do when the tortoise get's bigger as they need to be out side in the warmer month's as much as possible.

is it a Hermann your looking at getting?

you will find every one's very friendly on the forum so ask as many question's as you want there's always some one around to help. :)

#3 Guest_becciwales_*

Guest_becciwales_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

Hi Karen, thanks for the reply. Yes, I've read on quite a few sites that Hermann are the best tortoise to start with as their needs are the easiest to cater for and they're very friendly. Any advice is always welcome by us as we want the best for our animals! We have 2 cages already hence we wanted to use them again. We have a ferplast 80 and a 120. We could look at joining them together when the tortoise grows bigger but if necessary we could get a bigger 'something'. I thought we could cable tie them together, take the wire side panel out and use an arch of sticks that I've used with my Guinea pigs (a new set of them) for him/her to climb over into the other side. Do you think this would be acceptable or too difficult/not appropriate for a tortoise to use or climb over?
Thanks
Bec xx

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

To be honest, if you cannot make a permanent outdoor enclosure, it might not be a good idea to get a tortoise, as while it is Ok to use a cage that can be transported in and out while small, it would be impossible in a few years as a tortoise needs a large area to explore. Anything less than a whole room size (not indoors) would be insufficient for an adult tortoise as it would spend all it's time trying to escape. They need to be able to follow the sun, dig down and generally be a tortoise. They wake in the morning, prop themselves against a wall or similar to maximise the suns rays, then move around during the day to suit their needs. Caging them when full grown is not really an option I'm afraid. All of my torts are outside now until the end of August, which is how they thrive best ;)
Hope this helps

#5 Guest_becciwales_*

Guest_becciwales_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

Yes it does, thank you, this is why we wanted to research as much as possible first. :-) We can now look at making somewhere suitable or as you say, not getting one if we can't. Is a man made dirt box effort suitable, deep enough to dig in but with slabs to make the area bugger for a romp around or does it need to be natural ground? xx

Bigger, I meant bigger!!!!! Oops!! Sorry everyone ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users