3 replies to this topic

#1 jessyprice

jessyprice

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

Hi, Just checking shes growing as should x

as you know tilly is a horsefield and came from a pet shop, (I know the error of my ways before it pointed out  lol) when she came to me her shell felt quite thin and she felt almost hollow when I picked her up compared to the solid lump she feels now.

On 31/8/12 she was 114g 7.5cm

Over next month dropped to 100g while she settled in

By Jan she was up to 137g still 7.5cm (I kept her up all winter)

and now she is 167g and 8.5cm.

You can see her new growth underneath as its quite light but not so much on top just the rings. No signs of pyramiding. When I had her, her top shell overlapped the bottom, now these have come together.

Shes happy, active (lot more so outside) and greedy if I give her chance, she has one meal a day(mainly weed but bit of rommaine occasionally) and an occasional pansy flower or campanula after work but thats it, using nutrabol 2-3x pw.

Ta Sarah

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

Hi Sarah. Not sure what you mean by the top shell overlapping the bottom, but if you mean the overall length was greater on the top (carapace) than the bottom (plastron), then this was normal and if the plastron is now the same length as the top, then this is incorrect. Sometimes with rapid growth the plastron can grow too long which will cause problems when adult, for males, with tail moving and females with egg laying. Pics will help to show if this is the case ;) The shell should never be thick, but always have a thinner appearance, coming to a fine point where it ends at the edges by head and tail and never rounded or thickened. Fast growth MUST be supplemented with daily D3 and calcium, rather than 2-3 times per week. In the wild, growth is slow, so the sun is enough to control D3. HORSFIELDS are greedy tortoises due to the fact that they are 'programmed' to eat for just 3-4 months of the year in nature, so they need to eat as much as they can find, but in captivity, they need far less feeding and hibernation helps with correct growth too. Hope this helps

#3 jessyprice

jessyprice

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

Sorry sue at the sides there was an overhang like in young tortoises but she seens to have grown into it x

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:58 PM

Oh, still not sure what you mean as young torts should be the same shape as adults at the sides, just smaller, but if it has rectified, that's fine. Pics will help with a second opinion if you would like some advice;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users