• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Heidi91

Heidi91

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

Looking for some advice please guys. I noticed yesterday while bathing Tilly she had strange areas of white on her underneath, it almost looks like bubbles but it's not, it didn't go away after bathing her, I'm a little concerned it might be shell rot, and panicking a little bit now. She's been her usual active self wandering around as normal and eating and drinking as normal. My other tort Ralph is absolutely fine and not showing any signs of this. Any advice on what it is and what I can do would be greatly appreciated. 

Hope you can see it in the picture, 

Attached File  IMG_1420.JPG   41.63KB   1 downloads

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:34 PM

Hi Heidi,
It looks like a fungal infection to me, though I'm not 100% sure. I think you will need to take 'Tilly' to a reptile vet to have it checked out.
Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Heidi91

Heidi91

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

Hi Freddy, thanks for the advice, do you have any idea what could cause a fungal infection and would it be wise for me to separate my two torts until I get to the bottom of it and get some vets advice for Tilly?

Thanks

Heidi

#4 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

Hi Heidi,
Fungal infections are usually caused by bacteria found in wet grass. Grass is not a good substrate. It is always best to use some topsoil in an outdoor area. You may need to modify their outdoor enclosure if you are to avoid the problem occurring again in future.
Hope this helps.
Best of luck.
Freddy

#5 Heidi91

Heidi91

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

Ok, they've only ever been on grass once, for about 15mins while there enclosure was being finished off. There is no grass in their outdoor enclosure just topsoil and stones for them to climb on. Do you know what usual treatment a vet would advise as I've heard all sorts of horror stories about vets giving really bad advice and making tortoise's ill and would like to have some prior knowledge to try and prevent this from happening. 

Thanks

Heidi

#6 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

The usual treatment is by applying dilute iodine solution to the infected area daily for several months. As I said, I'm not 100% sure but it certainly looks like some form of shell infection to me.
Sue (wizzasmum), should be on later and she may be able to offer you a second opinion as well as give you advice about possible veterinary treatment.
Best Wishes
Freddy

#7 Heidi91

Heidi91

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

Ok thanks for all your help and advice, I really appreciate it, I'll see what Sue says when she comes on and take it from there.

Thanks again

Heidi

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:54 PM

Looking for some advice please guys. I noticed yesterday while bathing Tilly she had strange areas of white on her underneath, it almost looks like bubbles but it's not, it didn't go away after bathing her, I'm a little concerned it might be shell rot, and panicking a little bit now. She's been her usual active self wandering around as normal and eating and drinking as normal. My other tort Ralph is absolutely fine and not showing any signs of this. Any advice on what it is and what I can do would be greatly appreciated. 

Hope you can see it in the picture, 

attachicon.gifIMG_1420.JPG

It looks like keratin stress Heidi - is she growing too quickly by any chance - what does the carapace look like?

#9 Heidi91

Heidi91

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:17 AM

She has over the past few weeks started to put more weight on, and has in fact over taken Ralph when he weighed more to start with, so I have reduced their food.

Ralph weighed 79g and Tilly 72g when I got them, however they then began to lose weight gradually and since then have slowly put weight back on. Tilly is now weighing 75g and Ralph 71g. Over the course of five weeks Tilly has shot from 65g to 75g. Is this too much of a weight gain? She only really weighs 3g more than when I got her.

The carapace looks fine, there doesn't seem to be any change there. But I shall attach a picture just to make sure I haven't missed something. They've been spending nearly all there time outside recently in their new outdoor enclosure which is just top soil and large pebbles and a few hides and some of there favourite weeds growing in there.

What am I doing wrong? 

Attached File  IMG_1422.JPG   46.86KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1421.JPG   55.77KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1423.JPG   57.45KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1424.JPG   47.54KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1425.JPG   53.37KB   0 downloads

#10 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:48 AM

Hi Heidi
If you look at the periods of new growth, they are lower set than previous growth, which is usually due to dehydration of sorts or possibly not digesting their food properly. Are they getting high enough basking temps in the day and damp substrate to bury down into overnight? Although they have not grown much since you had them, the last period of growth is too fast if not given enough heat and humidity, which is causing the irregularity in growth. When outdoors do they have supplemented heat at all?

#11 Heidi91

Heidi91

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

I have noticed, at no point since I've had them have they buried down into the soil, whilst in their table they have a hide at one end with deeper soil and they just don't go in there at all, they show no interest. They usually sleep under the lamp when the lamp has gone off. When the lamp is on the temps are between 34-36 degrees at the basking point. At the cooler end it is between 24-26 degrees.

Outside, unfortunately I'm having to bring them back in on a night as I don't feel there enclosure is secure enough just yet but this is something I am working on (I know this is not ideal but it shouldn't be for much longer). 

I have made the substrate deeper in their table but they still don't bury down :(

#12 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

Sleeping under basking lamps is never good, but at those temps is certainly going to produce shell problems. What time do you switch the lamps off? I would definitely move your tortoises from this area and bury them in damp substrate overnight to get them used to behaving normally, but ou need to lower your temps and put out the lights before they go to sleep, lowering overnight temps to encourage them to be tortoises. In the wild the temps drop very low at night at ground level, which encourages them to dig in. Your cool temps are way too high and could do with dropping a good ten degrees, to get them to behave naturally. Also bringing them in from outdoors at night is not a good idea unless you can put them somewhere cold, especially if your overnight temps are so high, as overnight temps are then going to be higher than daytime ones on many occasions, which again is not going to help with their behaviour.
In short, temps need to be much lower overnight and with a bigger choice for them during the daytime.
Hope this helps ;)

#13 Heidi91

Heidi91

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

The lamp is usually on 7-7 but they usually go to sleep around 6ish so I tend to turn the lamp off when they go to sleep is this too long? I've raised the basking lamp and now I'm getting round 28-29 degrees under the lamp is this better? The temp in the cool end is also coming down nicely too which is good. 

Even after doing all the research it turns out your still not doing it right, which is very frustrating, I just want them to be as happy as possible, there's far too many conflicting reports about them. 

I shall put them in the cool end tonight and try and encourage them to dig themselves in.

Thank you for all your help :)

#14 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:45 PM

Most of my torts naturally go to bed at around 4.30pm so if you put the lamps of then it will give them time to find somewhere to sleep before dropping off under the lamps. You need around 30-32 under the basking spot, but not much higher if they are inclined to sleep under them. 40 degrees is apparently conducive with death, so a blip either way could be dangerous. I can't stress enough the need for humid areas to sleep in, this can only be achieved by watering really. When confused about advice, take a look as to where that advice is coming from and if from a commercial site, avoid like the plague. Use sites written by long term breeders or well known organisations that are not out there to make money from you ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users