Photo

What Is Maximum Age Of Breeding Hermann Tortoise ?

hermann breeding age

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dirtyvest

dirtyvest

Tortoise Forum Newby

• 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

im  looking to start breeding hermann tortoises and have done alot of reasearch and couldnt find the maximum breeding age of a hermann tortoise ?

#2 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • 377 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

Hi dirtyvest
Well i didnt know till recently but sue (wizzasmum) told me she has females around a 100 still laying eggs so im guessing they can lay up until very old age
Regards matt

#3 dirtyvest

dirtyvest

Tortoise Forum Newby

• 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

What type of tortoise is that ? I was looking at hermann . which only live up to 30 or 40 years of age but this may be mistaken infomation ,

Regards jack

#4 Wizzasmum

Wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • 1,325 posts
  • Interests:Conservation, tortoises, greyhound rescue, gardening, reading, travel

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

Yes, there is no maximum age for breeding. I was told by a knowledgeable keeper that it's not a good idea to use an elderly female for breeding, especially if it has not been used for breeding for many years, but Tilly had been in the country since before the last war, with no contact with males and no eggs laid that they were aware of. She has laid for the past 8 - 9 years with no problems, in fact she is trying to dig up my decking as I type lol. Her first baby, Albert (female)  is now coming up to 400 grams, so testament to it not always being a problem ;)  I would say what you do need no matter what the age, is lots of space and not to keep them penned, to avoid stress. Another thing to consider is the cost of breeding. With introduction of new fees and regulations from DEFRA recently, it's something that a lot of breeders will currently be thinking twice about in the future. I have to say that I have never made any money from my little ones, once the costs are taken into consideration ;)

#5 dirtyvest

dirtyvest

Tortoise Forum Newby

• 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

thanks for the info , have you got a link to the DEFRA website of rules and reclations

#6 Wizzasmum

Wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • 1,325 posts
  • Interests:Conservation, tortoises, greyhound rescue, gardening, reading, travel

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

Yes, of course. As passed onto me this week from a fellow breeder  http://www.defra.gov...es-ag-ct-01.pdf

Remember too that if you are buying tortoises from different locations, you need to give a considerable quarantine period, during which time you will need separate set-ups.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users