Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

Hi guys,
This might be a stupid question but im lucky enough to live 20mins from the coast so today i went to the beach and have brought back a years supply of cuttlefish lol.do i need to wash them as of the salt?
Regards matt

#2 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

I seem to remember a while ago someone asking a similar question and the answer was to rinse them loads or boil them.
Lucky you, all those free bones!!!
I am hoping to pick some up on mu holidays this year x x. Hugs x x

#3 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:43 PM

I must admit I don't know the definitive answer, but my own inclination would be to boil the cuttlefish to ensure sterility. I know that this doesn't happen in the wild, but at the end of the day, I'm sure that sea water must contain contaminants, so boiling would make sure that you're offering the essential ingredient (calcium compounds) without any potential pollutants involved.

Only my opinion, I could be wrong.

Incidentally, Matt, there's no such thing as a stupid question;  all queries here are answered to enhance one's knowledge however basic. At the end of the day, we ask questions here for the furtherment of our own understanding, and for the benefit of our beloved torts.

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

My grandchildren brought some back from Cyprus a couple of years ago and I just fed them as they were. We had no problems, but I suppose if they have been lying on the beach for some time, they may have been contaminated by dogs, gulls etc. My friend in Jersey collects some from time to time and has no problem with them. The biggest problem I can think of is overfed, you would be giving too much phosphorous.

#5 Heidiboo75

Heidiboo75

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

How can you actually get your tort to eat a cuttlefish bone that's put in its enclosure? My torts had one for 2 weeks and not touched it once :-/

#6 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

Hi guys
Thanks for the replies,appriciate the help!i think i may boil them just to be on the safe side!hi sue,i try not to overfeed them on cuttlefish as they have their neutribol but my two younger females will have a nibble now and again but the older ones dont touch it
Thanks again guys.

Hi heidiboo 75
Well you cant force them to eat it but dont panic as if they really needed extra calcium in their diet theyed have a nibble so im guessing they are getting enough through suppliments your putting on their food,as i said only 2 of my torts now and again will have a nibble but the other older 1s wont touch it.also i think they use it to keep their beak in shape so just have some in their encloser just incase they do want a nibble
Regards matt

#7 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

My torts can leave it alone for months and then eat it like they have never seen it before!!!
I have noticed they seem to be more inclined to have a nibble when they are due to lay eggs x x hugs x

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

How can you actually get your tort to eat a cuttlefish bone that's put in its enclosure? My torts had one for 2 weeks and not touched it once :-/

They seem to prefer them when well weathered, but many torts don't like them, usually when kept indoors. They are not particularly nutritious but good for keeping beaks down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users