• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Heidiboo75

Heidiboo75

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

Hi, can anyone offer advice? My tort has taken to sleeping under her basking light during the day and I'm not sure of the reason for this? Temps under the basking light are set on a thermostat at 90f and the cooler end thermometer reads 57f.. I have tried encouraging her to bury at the cooler end but she just returns to the warmer end again?

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

Is she falling asleep there before lights out? What time are your lamps set for?  Try setting them to go off in the afternoon, when she should look for somewhere to hide due to the drop in temps ;)

#3 Heidiboo75

Heidiboo75

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

She would sleep there all day if I let her.. She actually woke up herself when her lights went on at 7 this morning and she ate hungrily then trundled back off to her favourite spot under her lamp, she was still there when I got him from work lunchtime so I gently dug her out, bathed her and then she ate again and then went back to sleep under her lamp.. Am I worrying too much, I keep reading that hatchlings sleep a lot. I really thought I had the temperature thing sussed but it seems not.. :-/

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:38 AM

Sleeping under lamps can lead to dehydration, especially if hatchlings as they dry out so quickly. What temp is it where she is sleeping?

#5 Heidiboo75

Heidiboo75

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

The temp measures about 20 degrees Celsius at night..

#6 Heidiboo75

Heidiboo75

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

I have been bathing her every day because I'm conscious of her dehydrating

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

Try putting lights out early and encouraging her to go and dig in. 20 degrees is still quite warm but obviously it will be warmer than this before lights are out, which is not good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users