- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 karenhackwood

karenhackwood

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:My two new torts - Bertie and Bruce. Two guinea pigs, Sandy and Rosie, Velvet the rabbit and Sam the dog - oh and my husband Steve....
    I love knitting and keeping bonsai trees.

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

Hi, my name is Karen and i have become the proud owner of two Hermann tori's named Bertie and Bruce, they are five years old.  I was going to put them out his morning before work - at 6am, but it was not very warm, my question is, can they go out in temperature of 13 degrees C for a couple of hours???

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

My two are out full time now. One of them is only a year old and the other is nearly four. I just open the door of their little house after they spend the night in there and they come out and warm up when the sun hits the enclosure.

They should be absolutely fine at this time of year. :)

#3 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

Welcome to the forum Karen. Your torts will be fine outside at the moment. Mine are usually out by 6:30 every morning....
Do you have an outdoor set up.... X x x hugs x x.

#4 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum

will you  be housing your torts outside?looking forward to seeing pictures of Bertie and Bruce.

Jaynex

#5 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

Hi karen
Welcome to the fourm :)
Yes they will be fine especially with this lovely fine weather :)
Regards matt

#6 karenhackwood

karenhackwood

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:My two new torts - Bertie and Bruce. Two guinea pigs, Sandy and Rosie, Velvet the rabbit and Sam the dog - oh and my husband Steve....

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:06 AM

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

My two are out full time now. One of them is only a year old and the other is nearly four. I just open the door of their little house after they spend the night in there and they come out and warm up when the sun hits the enclosure.

They should be absolutely fine at this time of year. :)

Thank you for your kind reply.  that really helps, i shall put them outstide in the morning.

#7 karenhackwood

karenhackwood

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

will you  be housing your torts outside?looking forward to seeing pictures of Bertie and Bruce.

Jaynex

My plan is outside in the day and in a shed at night

#8 karenhackwood

karenhackwood

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

Jaynex

i am housing them in a shed at night with plenty of light and then in a run during the day at the moment - i have tried to download pictures which are jpg but says not correct format???

#9 karenhackwood

karenhackwood

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:09 AM

Hi karen
Welcome to the fourm :)
Yes they will be fine especially with this lovely fine weather :)
Regards matt

Many thanks, i get such mixed advice....where i got them from said 13 C first thing in the morning is too cold, but it would not be for long :)

#10 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

Hello Karen

when i had a problem with photo's i went through photosize.com and it changed size,free,hope this can help you,temps soon get higher so not too worry it would stay stay at 13c for long,temps in my torts outside house is about 13c-15c at the moment as i'm not using tubular  heater or lights  and i just open there house and they venture out when they are ready and have the day in there enclosure,look forward to seeing pictures  soon.

Jaynex

#11 karenhackwood

karenhackwood

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

Hello Karen

when i had a problem with photo's i went through photosize.com and it changed size,free,hope this can help you,temps soon get higher so not too worry it would stay stay at 13c for long,temps in my torts outside house is about 13c-15c at the moment as i'm not using tubular  heater or lights  and i just open there house and they venture out when they are ready and have the day in there enclosure,look forward to seeing pictures  soon.

Jaynex

Thank you Jayne, i shall now be putting them out when we have nice days x

#12 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:35 PM

Hello Karen,
Welcome to the forum. Glad you found us. We are a friendly, helpful bunch. You will get plenty of great advice here and make many new friends. Look forward to hearing more about your wonderful torts Bertie and Bruce. Hope you enjoy your stay. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#13 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

Thank you Jayne, i shall now be putting them out when we have nice days x

They really need to be out 24/7 now, with access to a hide area when they want to. The temperature is nothing to do with whether it is suitable for outdoors or not. They use the sun to warm up even on cold days. Most places are very warm right now. I have friends in Thatcham (not far from the Living Rainforest), whose tortoises live out from early spring until September with no problems whatsoever. Don't leave them in a closed shed in the day though as the dangers of overheating are very high at this time of years and temps can reach in excess of 40 degrees which if they have nowhere to dig down can be very bad news.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users