• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Phil C

Phil C

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

My 10 year old tortoise keeps burying herself. Is this normal or should I start worrying?

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

Perfectly normal..... they will do it to keep cool when it's too hot for them..... and they dig down when it get too cold too. :)

#3 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

Hi phil c
My adult females are doing this alot at the mo during the day as here in somerset its hitting around 37c in the sun so they dont really appear until later on when it cools down to forage
Regards matt

#4 Phil C

Phil C

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

Thanks for your replies, I can stop worrying now.

#5 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:11 AM

Hello

my female torts go to the back of there house where its nice and cool when it's getting too hot.

Jaynex

#6 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

Hi, yes, same here; with the unusually high temps at the moment, I've discovered Harry likes to take shade either under the shrubs or by burrowing, and sometimes going back in his house for a cool-down during the hottest part of the day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users