Strawberries

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 karenhackwood

karenhackwood

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:My two new torts - Bertie and Bruce. Two guinea pigs, Sandy and Rosie, Velvet the rabbit and Sam the dog - oh and my husband Steve....
    I love knitting and keeping bonsai trees.

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:55 AM

How often can torti's have strawberries and how many?

#2 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

Hi karen
Strawberries are a no no realy,well any fruits are as will mess their gut flora up giving them very loose stools!but ive got to be honest i do feed mine strawberries especially this time of year but a very rare treat.so 1 strawberry now and again aint going to hurt but dont feed as part of a daily diet
Regards matt

#3 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:44 AM

But if you do feed any fruit as a treat do not feed any thing citric or bannanas

#4 karenhackwood

karenhackwood

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:My two new torts - Bertie and Bruce. Two guinea pigs, Sandy and Rosie, Velvet the rabbit and Sam the dog - oh and my husband Steve....
    I love knitting and keeping bonsai trees.

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

But if you do feed any fruit as a treat do not feed any thing citric or bannanas

Thank you very much for your advice.

#5 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

Hello

I only give strawberry's as a treat,when i do a pudding of strawberries and icecream,yummy!,i cut the tops off with a small amount of strawberry and my torts enjoy these,only in the summer time,like Matt says never give as a daily feed.

Jaynex

#6 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

You have my mouth watering now jayne,think strawberries and icecream will be on the menu tonight lol :)
Matt

#7 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

Despite strawberries being a big no-no, it doesn't stop my two from raiding my strawberry patch if they ever get the chance. ;) A bit like us humans and chocolate, probably! :rofl:

I do try to avoid feeding them though, because, as Matt says, they mess up their gut flora and give them runny stools. I give cucumber as an occasional treat as they seem to love it..... (they come running at the mere sniff of cucumber!). As long as the rest of their diet is good a little of what they fancy every now and then shouldn't cause too much harm. x

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:52 PM

I think it is important to think about what would happen in the wild. The amount of strawberries they would find in the wild is virtually none, as birds would take any wild fruit being able to spot it much easier than a tortoise. I very rarely treat my tortoises, as they do not understand the concept of treats, having not had them in the wild and being a species that have been around since dinosaurs and managing very well without us, I tend to think this is the way to go for their best health. Putting torts back on the straight and narrow after poor diets is no easy task ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users