• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sp4rky

Sp4rky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:34 PM

Martin was climbing up on my partner and she noticed a puff of air from him on her neck. Wasn't a noise as such just a puff. His nose looks fine. He has been a bit quiet over the last couple days and maybe not eating as much but thought it might be due to the recent heat wave.

Should I get him to a vet?

#2 Sp4rky

Sp4rky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

Also when he is bathed he sometimes rubs his eyes with his legs, not too much but just as if he maybe had water in them.

#3 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:57 PM

If after bathing this is perfectly normal. Often though it can be a stress reaction. As tortoises cannot show they are stressed in the same way that a mammal can, it's easy to misdiagnose their behaviour. They are not really personable as in behaving normally when out of the correct environment and if being handled as other pets can soon become ill. They really are best being kept to a tortoise environment and not handled too much to prevent illness occurring.

Hope this helps ;)

#4 Sp4rky

Sp4rky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

Yeah he doesn't get handled too often, yesterday was more because he has been sleeping more than usual and we wanted to see if he was okay and able to climb etc. just seems to be sleeping more regularly at the moment. I'm awaiting worm test results from the vet, maybe he's needing some treatment.

#5 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:53 PM

Also in this heat it is perfectly normal for tortoises to dig down to get out of the heat, just the same as they dig down to get out of cold surroundings. Substrate/soil needs to be deep to enable them to do this, which is also how they conserve water.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users