Help and advice needed please

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tomatillo_*

Guest_Tomatillo_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2005 - 12:07 PM

Hello fellow tortie keepers
I hope someone can give me some advice about my horsfield tortoise.I think she may be preparing to lay an egg/eggs.I acquired her 'Rosie' and her partner 'Parsley' about 3 years ago and was told they were about 6 years old which would make them approx 9 yrs now. I separated them during this Summer as I thought Parsley was 'bothering' Rosie too much although I do have several other younger females he mostly ignored them. Anyway back to my original concern .Just recently Rosie has been very restless and particularly aggressive to her companions{I removed the other torts to another enclosure].This morning I noticed that she was digging a hole with her back legs.scraping the substrate up the sides. Non of my torts will be hibernating this year as one of them'Maisie' had an eye infection{she's still in quarantine at the mo} and thought it best to keep a close eye on all of them over the next few months.Isn't it a bit late in the year for Rosie to begin laying eggs. Any advice, thoughts, opinions would be gratefully received.I did read up about hatching and rearing torts a few years back but thought anything like that happening would be in at least6/7 years time.Isn't she a little too immature to breed yet?

#2 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2005 - 05:01 PM

I have sent you a message

#3 Guest_Tomatillo_*

Guest_Tomatillo_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2005 - 11:08 AM

Hi blondesarah,
I'm afraid I don't seem to be able to find your message.Sorry.Please could you try again .Thanks
Tomatillo

#4 Guest_Tomatillo_*

Guest_Tomatillo_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2005 - 04:19 PM

Hello fellow tortie keepers,
I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of substance vermiculite is and does anyone know where I may be able to buy some? .I'm trying to get everythng prepared just in case,I seem to already have the other essentials in preparing an incubator. Thanks for any help much appreciated
Tomatillo

#5 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2005 - 04:25 PM

i have just sent you another message

#6 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2005 - 04:25 PM

Hi Russians can lay this time of the year, they would be clearing themselves out before hibernation.
Vermiculite you can buy in garden centers or b&q.

#7 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2005 - 05:01 PM

Hello Laura
http://www.thetortoisehouse.com
When you've read up on Russians, I would write to the site owner, she will be more than happy to help you
Arnie

#8 Guest_Tomatillo_*

Guest_Tomatillo_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:16 PM

Thankyou everyone for all your messages, they have been very helpful Will let you all know if there are any more developments as regards 'Rosie'
Sorry blondesarah I don't seem to be able to receive your message but thanks for responding anyway
Thanks again
Tomatillo

#9 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:33 PM

When you log in look at the top left hand corner is should say you have a message

#10 Guest_Tomatillo_*

Guest_Tomatillo_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:57 PM

Thanks blondesarah your message has at last been received. Still finding my way around the forum at the mo. Thankyou for your help
Tomatillo

#11 Guest_Tomatillo_*

Guest_Tomatillo_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:09 PM

By the way

My tortoises are:-

2.4.0 Horsfield tortoise
1.0.2 Three-Toed Box tortoise

regards Tomatillo

#12 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:14 PM

If i was you i would take her to the vets have have her xrayed to see if there are any eggs in her. I am concerned about my female red so i am taking her to the vets. How deep is the substrate? and what substrate do you use?

#13 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:22 PM

Are you in the UK or US?

#14 Guest_Tomatillo_*

Guest_Tomatillo_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2005 - 03:54 PM

Hello
Sorry for the delay in responding to your queries. I live in the UK ,North West England to be more precise.I currently use a 50% soil 50% play sand mix, but I will soon be switching to a hemp substrate due to a couple of instances of eye problems which may be helped by a the change according to my vet.The substrate is approximately 6 inches deep in most places but there is a sort of rocky hillock in the centre which is alot deeper -maybe 18 inches.My torts have a whole bedroom to themselves therefore the enclosures are fairly large 8ft by 9ft and 6ft by 7ft and smaller ones for any that need to be separated.I have a smallish back garden, however all available space is used by the torts.I grow various weeds which they love to munch and treat them to butternut squash occasionaly{I believe it contains a good source of vitamin A}.I have now acquired the afore mentioned vermiculite so at least I feel a bit more prepared if not still a little apprehensive at the thought of incubating eggs.At the moment though there is no signs of any more digging .

regards

Tomatillo

#15 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2005 - 04:22 PM

You set up sounds really good, my tortoise have a room to themselves. I have just been to teh vets today to get my reds xrayed for eggs. If you are worried i would do the same.

#16 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2005 - 09:48 PM

Hello Laura
Can you make a nest for your tortoise, mound the soil and sand up wet it with fairly warm water, just enough to damp it and stick together, then put a heat lamp over the ares, the mound needs to be quiite deep.
You should see an interest in her straight away from the smell of the damp soil. the only other way is to take her to the vets and if she has some eggs from the x-ray he can give her Oxytocin and she will lay within a couple of hours, so make sure he gives her the injection just prior to you fetching her back, but the eggs are better out than in, especially if you are going to hibernate her
Arnie

#17 Guest_Tomatillo_*

Guest_Tomatillo_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2005 - 04:36 PM

Hello
Thanks for your help Arnie,much appreciated.I'm happy to report that Rosie laid 2 perfect eggs this afternoon.She had already picked out her nesting spot I just added more substrate to make it deeper and dampened it with warm water.The basking light was already directly above.I retrieved the eggs and they are now safely within the incubator made following Lisa {Thetortoisehouse} instructions.Luckily I already had most of the things needed to construct it.I know they are most probably infertile being her first eggs but I can't tell you how excited I am .If she lays any more will she use a different nesting site or will she use the same place?Also how long is it inbetween clutches.Shall I leave the basking light on overnight or will she continue tomorrow?I have bathed Rosie in warm water and given her a big bunch of dandies,she seems to be fine.Thanks again for all your help .This forum has been so friendly and informative .
Kind regards
Tomatillo

#18 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2005 - 05:17 PM

Congratulations.

#19 Guest_Tomatillo_*

Guest_Tomatillo_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2005 - 06:03 PM

Thanks blondesarah
I must say I do feel very honored that Rosie felt happy and secure enough to lay eggs.I will do my utmost to care for them.
Kind Regards
Tomatillo

#20 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:15 PM

Let us know how you get on hatching them. I have a horsfield male. I saw an advert on reptile keeper for a year old horsfeild for 60. So i traveled up to manchester expecting a baby. She got it out of teh box and he was 5inches i was in shock. She got him from a pet shop and she said she couldnt care for him anymore. Anyway he is lovely and shows us he is a male all the time. But i have no way of knowing how old he is. I would love some females to go with him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users