• Guests

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:21 PM

Here is a picture of him outside in the summer

#22 Guest_Tomatillo_*

Guest_Tomatillo_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:58 PM

Hello blondesarah
When I first got Rosie 3 years ago she was about 5.5 inches ,she is now 6 inches. Parsley was 4.5 inches and now measures 5 inches.I was also told by the previous owner that Parsley was female but it soon became apparent by his behaviour towards Rosie that he definately wasn't a girl.His long tail was a big giveaway too!I have 3 other females {Maisie,Daisy and Willow}aged 4,5,and 6.Finally I have 3 year old Tomatillo who was a resue.He had been kept on a heat mat and his plastron was all deformed underneath by the heat and he was missing many of his claws .I'm glad to say the claws have now grown back and although his plastron will never be normal he is growing well now.
I will certainly let you know how I get on with hatching the eggs,fingers crossed.I think they will be ready to hatch sometime around the end of January .
Kind Regards
Tomatillo

#23 Guest_Tomatillo_*

Guest_Tomatillo_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:04 PM

Ps lovely photo of your Russian Tort

#24 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2005 - 03:58 PM

Hi There just joined up even though i have often used this site,
anyway i keep horsfields and successfully bred them now for the last 3yrs my female always lays in march well thats her first clutch, anyway she usually lays 4 clutches a season with anything from 3-5 week intervals clutch size varies from 2-5 eggs all her eggs have been fertile from the first lot to the last which hatched in august 2005 ,i incubated my eggs at31.5c and they hatched on 58days for the first two clutches i then incubated at 30.0c they all hatched on 62-4 days i kept the humiity at 70%.
I hope yours hatch there aren't many uk captive bred horsfields about and i think people should try to captive breed these fantastic little torts more

#25 Guest_Tomatillo_*

Guest_Tomatillo_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2005 - 08:17 PM

Hello Piglet
Thanks for the invaluable information.I too believe Horsfields are wonderful tortoises each with their own individual and unique character.I had no idea there was such a long time inbetween laying clutches of eggs. Also if she lays as many eggs as you say they can, I think I may need a larger incubator.I've set the incubator at 31.5c.Fingers crossed for the end of January.Thanks again for responding to my queries.Will post on here with the outcome.
Kind regards
Tomatillo

p s Really cute picture of your Russian babes

#26 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2005 - 06:43 PM

Well done we've got a 50/60 day wait now :-)
Arnie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users