Red On Plastron

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:10 PM

Girl Bubble has not been herself of late. She laid an egg a while ago and since she sort of just....well did nothing.
I noticed redness in her plastron and eventually ruled out bruising caused by climbing etc.
anyway to cut a long story short she is on antibiotics...
I don't know how this has happened, but just to remind people to check their torts.... The great outdoors is no guarantee of good health all the time x x

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

If a tortoise lays a single egg, she should always be checked for more if she is not her normal self afterwards. I take it your vet has x-rayed for more eggs first.

Redness of the plastron can be a sign of septicaemia which can come about from many reasons, one of which is retained eggs or eggs that are broken inside a tortoise, this should always be checked for if your tortoise has been gravid recently, as antibiotics alone might not be enough, if there are eggs that need to be removed. Is this the tortoise with possible MBD Stella?

#3 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

No Sue it is a different tort. The one with MDS is ok now and is her normal self....
Girl Bubble is responding to treatment, and is much better today, wandering about and looking more lively. It is a bit cooler today so maybe that makes a difference too x x x hugs x x

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:17 AM

Just keep an eye on the red areas Stella to make sure they are not spreading. If it is a generalised area of redness in growth areas between scutes etc, this is usually normal at this time of year ;)

Good luck with her.

#5 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

Yes I am watching her, the redness seems to be along the scute lines, I am worrying about her not eating very much now and in her bath this morning she was straining, it seems as though she was trying to poo.... I am concerned about what you said about retained eggs. I think it will be a call to the vets tomorrow.
She seems well hydrated and didn't drink her bath water again today, her eyes are clear and bright. X x x hugs x x

#6 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:50 PM

Attached File  Girl Bubbles shell.JPG   43.02KB   1 downloads

This is what I am seeing Sue,

What do you think

x x x hugs x x x

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:34 PM

I am not a vet obviously but would say this is perfectly normal and nothing like septicaemia. If she had that she would be very sick indeed and not eating or behaving normally. It shows up as irregular patches which can be on the plastron or carapace. This heat wave has produced all tortoises to behave differently to be honest. I would have expected your vet to X-ray, but as I say I am not a vet. Did he know she had laid an egg recently? Are you injecting the AB's? How big/heavy is she?

#8 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

Hi Sue, I did say she had recently laid an egg.... And other advice has suggested the redness is like growth spurts.
They are such a worry, I wish they could speak x x x hugs x x

#9 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:38 PM

Yes, that one is typical of septicaemia ;)

#10 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

Hello Ozric, girl Bubbles redness is nothing like that, seems sort of pink in comparison. I am feeling better already thanks x x x hugs x

#11 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

Hi stella
After reading this thread,i checked all mine and they are looking the same as yours on the plastron and they always look like that so its normal
Regards matt

#12 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:15 PM

Thanks Matt, I feel more reassured now. They do make me worry. X x x hugs x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users