11 replies to this topic

#1 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

Hi everyone

Just wanted to say thank you for all your help so far but now I have another question!

I have a spur thigh which I thought was 2 years old. I acquired him off a friend although originally he came from a pet shop.

From reading around I'm starting to think the paper work is a load of rubbish for want of a better term.

I've measured and weighed him and used the Jackson ratio (I think this is the right one?) and he seems to be all good from what I can figure out. He's about 9cm excluding head and tail and 156 grammes...am I right he's too big to be that young?

Please help!

Many thanks

Laura

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

Yes, his weight falls more in line with a 3 or 4 year old ;) A lot depends on what he looks like though, as if fed incorrectly, he could have grown too big, but usually they are quite lumpy or have other deformities if so.

#3 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

I'm pretty sure I don't over feed him. I give him what you guys recommend enough to cover shell and can eat most within 20 mins and actually leaves the rest.

This is really sad but I think he was caught from the wild due to his more realistic age and he behaves like a wild tort. He's very friendly and confident but absolutely loves wandering around exploring and foraging. Goes in his water of his own accord and is very independent. Behaving like he's never been looked after by humans.

No sign of deformities other than the claws I've shown you which are being trimmed by a vet next week, I've left them as he was wearing them down by himself but not as quickly as I wished so all booked in. Also will give me a chance for a pre hibernation check up. Wizzamum I'll be hounding you for step by step advice nearer the time.

Thank you again.

#4 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

I've attached a pic for your inspection wizzasmum :-)

#5 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

2nd time lucky...will learn one day!

Attached Files

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

The amount to cover the shell idea is a bit of a myth really, as it would depend on what the leaf was. A cabbage leaf for instance would hold a lot more fibre and bulk than say a vine leaf, so totally different amounts and uses. The best way to see if you feeding the correct amount is to check weight and the lighter coloured growth lines. If the lines look  like a pencil line, then that is normal growth, but if you have large light coloured bands, then that is too fast growth, which can put strain on other areas such as internal organs and shell structure. Your tortoise looks fine, with no abnormal spurts of growth etc.

Tortoises are very highly geared to do what is natural, they have very strong instincts, whether wild caught or captive bred, so I would not be looking at his behaviour too closely for comparison. All tortoises enjoy foraging and doing their own thing, this is what helps make a correctly grown tortoise. I have a couple of hatchlings here, 2 days old that are refusing to come out of the substrate as their instinct is telling them to stay under cover for safety. They are able to look after themselves from the word go, so apart from provision of food, and a choice of heat and shelter, they need no help from man, even in captivity, especially if outdoors ;)

Not sure where the pics of claws are, but they look normal in the pic here, all perfectly normal for his size. You don't want to be trimming them really at this age, as they will wear down as his weight increases, unless of course they are a deformed shape.

#7 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for your reply, gives me some reassurance for sure.

About the claws there was a thread under 'are Hector's claws too long?' Under health.

I'm also getting him wormed so will let the vet decide.

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:31 PM

They don't look so odd on your latest pic, have they worn down a little? If so they will probably continue, given correct substrate.

#9 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:03 PM

Maybe it was the angle of the original pic too? They have definitely worn down too, once again thank you :-)

#10 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

I'd not have them trimmed if they are starting to wear naturally as the vein could easily be nicked. The vein gets longer too, but with natural wear it will recede on it's own ;)

#11 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

I did wonder that but assumed that would be the case.

Thank you so much for your help and advice

Laura :)

#12 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

No problem, looks like he is doing just fine :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users