3 replies to this topic

#1 Pickle1983

Pickle1983

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

Hi all,

I've just weighed and measured Queenie, shes almost 6 years old and she weighs 485g and measures 110mm - is this too heavy?

I checked against the Jackson Ratio and it looks like she is overweight :(

Shes generally quite happy, she's active, poo's regularly and has a bath every other day. I feed her everyday a mixture of dandelions, fuschia's, pansy's, antirhynems (i think i have spelt that correct!) and bogonia's as well as other plants that im not 100% sure on the names of that i know she is allowed.

I tend to give her an amount roughly the size of her shell and she gobbles this up like i havent fed her for weeks!

Is this normal? Is this because the nice, hot weather we are having is affecting her?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Nic (worried owner) 

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:34 AM

If you're calculations are correct, then yes, she is overweight, but I suspect that it's your measurements that are wrong.

I posted a topic on here a little while ago about how to measure tortoises correctly. You'll find it here:http://www.hermann-t...8236&hl=measure

:)

#3 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

Hi all,

I've just weighed and measured Queenie, shes almost 6 years old and she weighs 485g and measures 110mm - is this too heavy?

I checked against the Jackson Ratio and it looks like she is overweight :(

Shes generally quite happy, she's active, poo's regularly and has a bath every other day. I feed her everyday a mixture of dandelions, fuschia's, pansy's, antirhynems (i think i have spelt that correct!) and bogonia's as well as other plants that im not 100% sure on the names of that i know she is allowed.

I tend to give her an amount roughly the size of her shell and she gobbles this up like i havent fed her for weeks!

Is this normal? Is this because the nice, hot weather we are having is affecting her?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Nic (worried owner) 

Make sure that you have measured end to end of the whole tortoise and not just the plastron (underneath shell). It can also depend on the overall shape of your tortoise too. Using the Jackson ratio, a very domed tortoise can come out as overweight and a flatter one can show as really underweight, so you can see it is only a guide. Rather than give soft plants that are too easy easy to eat and digest, I would be looking for wild, more fibrous stuff for her and spread it around for her to find, rather than handing it to her on a plate so to speak (I'd be wary of feeding begonias deliberately as they are quite high in oxalic acid).  Tortoises do not know when they have had enough to eat, as in the wild they could walk all day to get just a tiny leaf or two, so exercise is important too. If I have to keep a tortoise indoors for any reason, it will tend to grow faster than when in the garden, as it is not exercising properly and having to search for food. Remember that if you have a fat tortoise it just has to be fed less. Do it's legs look fat as though it is difficult for them to fit completely inside the shell? If so, you need to increase exercise and feed less food, making it harder to find. Don't cut up food, give it whole, again, making it hard to get at, using leg muscles to hold it down etc. If you have pics, that will help us to see what is going on too ;)

#4 Pickle1983

Pickle1983

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:45 AM

Hi both,

Firstly  thanks so much for your helpful advice.

I have measured her again using your instrucionts Kelly and she is actually 123mm - so my measurements were definitely wrong!

Regarding the feeding - i'll cut down on the begonia's then (mum will be pleased i dont have to keep picking from her garden!) and i'll also try to hid the food so she needs to search more. I

I'll try to upload some photos on here shortly (not 100% sure how to do this!)

Thanks again both.

Nic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users