Holidays :-/

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_becciwales_*

Guest_becciwales_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:52 PM

Hi all, I didn't know where to post this so I put it here. Apologies if it's in the wrong place!!
What do you guys do with your torts when you go away? My mun lives across the road so would usually come over a few times a day to look after our pets. The dog goes to the kennel. But in November, we're all going together for 3 nights. Is there anywhere that does tortoise boarding? I live in South Wales.
Thank you :-)

#2 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:17 PM

Hi, Becci, I live in South Wales, too, (Cardiff). I'm lucky inasmuch our son looks after Harry very well when we're away, I understand your concerns.

There's a  place in Sully which does 'kenneling' for torts. 

If you contact Ann via this website, she will advise you further:

http://www.awnwales....sp?memberID=134

Hope this helps xxx

#3 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:16 AM

Do be very very careful when boarding torts out - cross contamination is a very real danger, unless you know the person and can guarantee that they scrub hands well between species and never put them outdoors where other tortoises have been (even the same species). Herpes and other incurable diseases are on the increase in tortoises and whole collections have been wiped out by this sort of practice in recent years. One of the rehoming officers for a large well known organisation lost every one of her tortoises a few years back, so it's not something to be taken lightly.
I only go on holiday in winter now too and make sure I have my torts either in hibernation or in wind down when I go, which just involves my neighbour or a family member checking on them every few days and checking the stats in hibernation areas in case temps drop too low.
Hope this helps.

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:46 AM

hi Becci

I agree with sue on this I would be careful using boarding, also tortoises don't like change it might be a little stressful for him going in and out of different enclosures for a few days.

have you not got a friend who could pop in and turn lights on and feed etc so he stays in his own enclosure. :)

#5 Guest_becciwales_*

Guest_becciwales_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

Thanks all! I'll speak to my friend :-) xx

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

Just thinking Becci. If you are not going to hibernate, then 3 days with the lights off in November will be easier on the tortoise so long as substrate is very deep. Wind down is a very similar process, so unless your house is likely to freeze, it would be much kinder to do this and as an added bonus, just have someone to take a peek but do not disturb. My Russian tortoises are often not see for a few days at a time, this is perfectly normal ;)

#7 Guest_becciwales_*

Guest_becciwales_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

Oh, that could be a plan, my house never gets that cold and I can leave the heating on timed and its on a thermostat so won't get too hot or cold. I thought as he'd only be 8 months old it would be too young and he'd be too small to hibernate? I think I'd prefer to get used to tort keeping before hibernating him, its definitely a steep learning curve but I'm loving it!! :-)
I can ask my neighbour to pop in to make sure he's asleep and not on his back. Its not that I don't trust her but she's not an animal lover to check on him a few times a day etc, I'd be worried she'd forget and with his light on he'd be very vulnerable wouldn't he?
Would she just need to check he was asleep?
That's great, thanks Sue :-)

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

It's fine not to hibernate for a year if you are worried and just keep feeding/weight gain to a minimum for the first winter, but it is equally OK to hibernate them too, same as they would in the wild. I do mine from 20 grams upwards ;) Your neighbour would not need to do anything if he was under the substrate, just make sure as you say, he had not come out and turned over. It's best not to dig them up during these periods and then when you return and put the lamps back on, you could give him a day or so and then let him come around naturally again. I often leave mine for weekends with lamps off, it's no different to a few bad days in nature when they would not emerge anyway and far better than risking disease from other torts ;)

#9 Guest_becciwales_*

Guest_becciwales_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

Oh that's great!! Thank you sooooo much!! That's put my mind at rest now :-)

#10 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:36 PM

When I go away in tort friendly months I have a neighbours child I have trained for a number of years to do the necessary.... Usually providing multiple stores of weeds in the fridge...
A few times I have been away in oct/nov and in this case I have set up an enclosure in the garage, with water and food..... I found the cold made them inactive so they didn't need much supervision. X x x hugs x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users