Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:22 PM

Hi guys,
Im always researching and trolling the internet about tortoises and mazuri pellets get brought up alot,ive looked into these and they are used in zoos for a natural balanced diet,they are high in fibre but cant really find out what other ingrediences are in these pellets,has any one used these or has anything to say about them as i normally stay well clear of any pellets?
Regards matt

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

I would steer well clear of them..... they are high in protein and full of unnecessary additives.

Have a look at this thread on the Tortoise Trust website discussing the same product. ;)

http://www.tortoiset...=mazuri pellets

#3 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

Hi kelly and ozric
Thanks for the replies!
Thanks for the link kelly was interesting but there seems to be so many different opinions across the internet as alot of keepers use these with so called good results but im not sure on that :/ i thought you were going to say that kelly,tha they have alot of protein in them as all pellets do,not good :/as you said ozric 'man made' products it might be the best of them but this pre alpine,is this used during the early sping months or do you use this as part of a daily diet?

Im not planning on using any pellets of any kind but just wanted to know why these mazuri pellets are so widley used and have a good reputation

Thanks guys

#4 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

Hi kelly and ozric
Thanks for the replies!
Thanks for the link kelly was interesting but there seems to be so many different opinions across the internet as alot of keepers use these with so called good results but im not sure on that :/ i thought you were going to say that kelly,tha they have alot of protein in them as all pellets do,not good :/as you said ozric 'man made' products it might be the best of them but this pre alpine,is this used during the early sping months or do you use this as part of a daily diet?

Im not planning on using any pellets of any kind but just wanted to know why these mazuri pellets are so widley used and have a good reputation

Thanks guys

#5 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

I think the pet trade has a lot to do with their widespread use unfortunately. Many keepers simply don't do their research when getting a tortoise and listen to bad advice from pet shops. :(

The sad thing is... reptiles can live for years before the true extend of the internal damaged caused by these pellets shows itself. As long as a balanced, high fibre weed diet is offered, there is no reason why they should need supplementation from commercial diets such as these. I just feel that they are a lazy alternative for those who can't be bothered to go out foraging for fresh weeds. ;)

#6 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

The closest to something like this that I use is Pre Alpin which is really just compressed meadow mix, whereas Mazuri is a full-on manufactured food which aims to provide a comlpete diet.

I agree that Pre Alpin is the only acceptable dry food to offer. It is high fibre and low protein and helps to bulk out feeding during winter months when weeds are more scarce. :)

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

Hi guys,
Im always researching and trolling the internet about tortoises and mazuri pellets get brought up alot,ive looked into these and they are used in zoos for a natural balanced diet,they are high in fibre but cant really find out what other ingrediences are in these pellets,has any one used these or has anything to say about them as i normally stay well clear of any pellets?
Regards matt

It depends on why you want to use them - if it's for variety, there is no need as all they need is growing fresh in the fields around us. If people choose to use them for ease of feeding, it's like feeding dogs nothing but dried food and people, nothing but packet food - boring, leads to lots of health problems due to the additives needed and makes you lazy, so again, best steered clear of in my humble opinion. People will often say they can't find the suitable weeds, I usually say, come and stay here for a week and feed all these. If that can be done, then it's a doddle to feed just a few tortoises ;) They are handy to try a fussy tortoise with when people say they won't eat, but then if they eat the pellets they are telling porkies to their owners ;)

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

I agree that Pre Alpin is the only acceptable dry food to offer. It is high fibre and low protein and helps to bulk out feeding during winter months when weeds are more scarce. :)

Is there a run down anywhere on the contents of Pre-Alpin compared with other dried foods and does it not have any additives? I'm just wondering why it is supposed to be the best ;)

#9 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

Is there a run down anywhere on the contents of Pre-Alpin compared with other dried foods and does it not have any additives? I'm just wondering why it is supposed to be the best ;)

Yes Sue.... you'll find all the information here: http://www.tortoisel...co.uk/page7.htm

The Plants Contained in PRE ALPIN® Testudo FIBRE:

Cocksfoot, amaranth, meadow fescue, dandelion, false oat grass, Yorkshire fog, Lady's mantle, English plantain, bush vetch, cat s tail, crested dog's tail,
perennial ryegrass, Alpine meadow grass, clover, common yarrow, Lady's bedstraw, meadow fescue and many others, linseed oil

The Components of PRE ALPIN® Testudo FIBRE:

• Dry substance 92.0 %
  • Phosphorus 0.26 %
  • Crude fibre 26.8 %
  • Iron 570 mg/kg
  • Crude protein 7.6 %
  • Manganese 81 mg/kg
  • Crude ashes 7.3 %
  • Carotene 51 mg/kg
  • Crude fat 2.4 %
  • Zinc 31 mg/kg
  • Calcium 0.58 %
  • Copper 4.7 mg/kg 

Compared to the ingredients of the Mazuri pellets..... :ohmy:

Ingredients

Ground Soybean Hulls, Ground Corn, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Ground Oats, Wheat Middlings, Cane Molasses, Soybean Oil, Wheat Germ, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dicalcium Phosphate, Brewers Dried Yeast, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, D-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Cholecalciferol, Biotin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Nicotinic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Natural Mixed Tocopherols (a Preservative), Ferrous Carbonate, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Copper Sulfate, Rosemary Extract, Lecithin, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite.

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude protein not less than ....................... 15.0%

Crude fat not less than ................................ 3.0%

Crude fiber not more than ......................... 18.0%

Calcium (Ca) not less than ........................ 0.95%

Calcium (Ca) not more than ...................... 1.45%

Phosphorus (P) not less than .................... 0.60%

Sodium (Na) not less than ......................... 0.10%

Sodium (Na) not more than ....................... 0.60%

Moisture not more than ............................. 13.0%

#10 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:52 PM

Although I would not feed pellets, I do think that a lot of what is stated is lost in the fact that it is dry and therefore when reconstituted, the proportions would substantially different.
Do we know what drying process is used for the Pre-alpin ?

#11 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:26 AM

Have to say that I do not trust a lot of commercial stuff, but on the other hand the Germans are way ahead of us on most things chelonian lol. I am still flabbergasted at the way some organisations who should really know better, will poo poo anything just because it seems to be something they have not personally researched. Many years ago, an acquaintance (German) was talking about the need for humid hides for small tortoises to help with initial smooth growth, which obviously helps with growth in the future, once the pattern is set. Crikey oh Reilly, I was nearly shot down in flames for suggesting such a daft thing on a public forum and yet now (after much better growth of my future babies at least), it's suddenly become not only accepted, but a 'result of recent research' by said organisation, that humidity plays a part in the smooth growth of hatchlings. You have to laugh sometimes or you would cry :D
What concerns me a lot with commercial stuff (not least second hand advice from some, who have not really looked into it) is that actual nutritionists who do realise the dangers of commercially dried products will tell you why this is so, in contrast to the manufacturers, who (in my experience) do not reply to nutritional queries, just send you further lists of what is in the products, stating how it is suitable for all species, which should be the first thing to set alarm bells ringing.
I find my tortoises, just the same as wild ones, do mooch around and eat food that has been dried in the sun, just the same as wild ones do, even the tiny hatchlings, so air dried is obviously more natural. Commercial dried stuff (as sold by many ebay sellers and to my mind should be avoided as they know nothing whatsoever about actual chelonion nutrition) is often freeze dried or dried at very high temps to get quick results. This fast drying process alters the cell structure and causes other chemical changes in the plants, making the resulting composition very different to the original product. Much of this stuff is originally destined for the beauty industry and the manufacturers will state if asked that it is not intended for consumption. Obviously this is not quite the same as pelleted food, but still enough to make me personally, suspicious.
I would never buy any food from a commercial seller, whether they sell lots of supposed tortoise food or not. It's also worth nothing that anything you buy for your tortoise, whether from ebay or other sources, should have a manufacturers label stating sell by date, total list of ingredients etc and should never be sold with a home made label, giving second hand information as they could well be breaking the law. This was found to be the case recently by someone selling supplements in tiny amounts in home made labelled bags.
http://pets.groups.y...toiseNutrition/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users