• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 paulmblythe

paulmblythe

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

On Thursday evening my Herman George was attacked by a dog. Unfortuanately I was not at home at the time.

George was taken to the vets straight away which was an hours drive away. Initially things did not look good at all and there is a lot of damage to the shell. The vet has given her some antibiotics and pain killers and she is eating a little and drinking. There appears to be no internal damage but she has lost the rear end of her shell where it goes over her back legs. All limbs seem undamaged.

I have been feeling pretty terrible and have only just managed to bring myself onto this forum. It looks like George is over the worst and the vet is going to evaluate tomorrow as to when she can come home.

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

hi Paul

im sorry to hear about George, I hope she has a fast recovery.

keep us updated take care. x

#3 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

Hello Paul, this is very sad, a very emotional time for you and your family and poor George. Fingers crossed she will be ok and will fully recover from her experience.x x x hugs x x

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

Oh dear, hope the dogs owners have taken responsibility. I have some pics of wild tortoises that have some terrible shell damage and have survived in the wild, so fingers crossed for your little one ;)

#5 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

Can the shell damage be repaired .., with resin or something.... A bit like plastic surgery... Or will George have to live her life without a 'shell'? X x x

#6 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

Hello Paul

what sad news,wishing George a speedy recovery,give George a chin tickle from me.

Jaynex

#7 paulmblythe

paulmblythe

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

My wife has just spoken to the vet. After telling us yesterday that she has been eating a little they have now told us she hasn't eaten for two days and hasn't had a poo since we took her there last Thursday evening. They say they are bathing her daily but she is impacted. Have also found out they have been trying to feed her fruit even though the reptile vet has told them not to (The reptile vet doesn't appear to be at the practice all the time). They now want to feed her laxative by tube. Starting to worry and wonder if I have taken her to the right vet.

#8 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

Oh dear, that is sad to hear. One thing you need is confidence in your vet, after all, you are venturing into the unknown. I hope everything turns out ok x x x hugs x

#9 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:19 AM

Does the vet know that it is not necessary for tortoises to pass anything daily like animals? I have had torts not poop for weeks and with a shock like this, it's really not surprising. They will not have known what was in the gut so how can she have become impacted so quickly? I would try to get her to a recognised reptile vet if it was me to be honest. A little liquid paraffin will not hurt but they need to know she truly is impacted first. Hopefully they have her on a good fluid intake as that is the first most important therapy for her. Hopefully the non reptile vet is aware of the difference between tubing torts and mammals as the airway is positioned very differently.

Can you not move her to a different vet?

#10 paulmblythe

paulmblythe

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:14 AM

I think they are worried because she is not eating much. I put this down to shock, pain and being in an unusual environment.  I would not be very hungry if I was in pain and shock. Also as you say tortoises can go a long time without passing. I have known her go two weeks without passing and she is (when at home) on a weed diet. They say they have taken an x-ray which shows she is compacted.

She can be very picky with her food. This in a way is good because she wont touch things such as pre packaged tortoise foods, fruit & root vegetables. Its almost as if she knows they are bad for her. apparently she wolfed down some dandelions  3 or 4 days ago but hasn't eaten since.

I know in the past when I have been away for a week on holiday and my parents have looked after her she can be very quite and withdrawn for a few days even though they follow my routine with her of feeding etc. and that is when she is fit and well.

My wife is heading to the vet as we speak to find out what is going on armed with some weeds, mixed leaves and dandelions.

I don't really have a clue as to which other vet I can take her to. There seems to be a dearth of reptile vets up here in NE Lincs. The one I have taken her to is the only one I have seen mentioned in my area as being suitable for reptiles.

The vet did say she is passing urine and has been bathed regularly so isn't dehydrated.

Fingers crossed and thank you everyone

#11 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

A tortoise will never eat when in pain or shock and a decent vet should know this. Food is the last thing that they should be thinking of at this stage really.  I'm still wondering how the x-ray is showing she is impacted unless they have taken several and there is no progress. I think they need to concentrate on healing her wounds and as soon as she is able, getting her back home, where she will recover much quicker than in a strange environment. How long has she been there?

#12 paulmblythe

paulmblythe

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:04 AM

As of today she has been there 11 days. We visited yesterday and she seemed fine and was very active. The reptile vet again was not there. I am going to ring today and ask for her to be returned to me so I can get her in her normal environment.

#13 paulmblythe

paulmblythe

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

George is now at home eating well and is very active. She is acting as if nothing has happened now she is back in her own enclosure and wolfed down some weeds within seconds of being put into it. The vet put her through a lot that I now realise was unnecessary but I had nowhere else to take her and you tend to trust people. They where still trying to feed her fruit even after my wife took a large box of weeds in. They would not listen and seemed to think I know nothing about my own tortoise.

Does anyone know of a decent vet in Lincolnshire or south Yorkshire as I am still looking for one?

#14 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:59 PM

Sorry can't help with the vet situation but please George is home and doing well x x x hugs x x

#15 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:38 PM

She will do far better in her own environment. I would keep her on sterile towels until all wet wounds have dried keep hydration up to make for lost fluids. If you can get up to Holly House Vets in Leeds it would be worth the visit.

#16 paulmblythe

paulmblythe

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

She is definitely doing far better at home. I am keeping her hydrated and she is on sterile towels at present. Thank you for all the advice.

#17 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

Sending good vibes to her. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users