Trouble With Eggs!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

I have been struggling with Girl Bubble for a few weeks. I noticed she wasn't as energetic as normal and she just looked unhappy.
I was concerned about the pinkness on her plastrom so took her to my reptile vet.
She had a course of anti biotics... But her symptoms then showed she had not had a poo for a few days... But also she was showing no interest to eat.
Girl Bubble was straining as though she was constipated and my vet took an ex ray which revealed six eggs.... One positioned ready to lay.... Plus an area which he thought looked like gravel, which I questioned as I had never noticed her eating stones.
He gave her an injection (2 now) which would help with her laying but sadly this hasn't happened. I bath Girl Bubble twice a day.... And unfortunately she actually vomited.... Which really scared me!!!
My vet took a blood sample and today I learnt the results are ok BUT shows she is slightly anaemic and has a high level of calcium.
Today I have set up an outdoor heater to hopefully heat an area so she may be persuaded to lay. My vet has offered two ways to proceed..... Under sedation.... To pierce the egg to make it easier to deliver .... Or....
Under general anethetic take the eggs away
I need help to decide..... I really do not fancy the last idea.
I am bathing Girl Bubble twice a day... And yesterday she was very active and did eat some weeds. I should also add I have had her under extra heat.
I really do not know what to do now.... If she wants to lay then all my interference isn't helping ..... Yet I do not want her to be ill and neglect her x x hugs x x

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:15 PM

Firstly has she been provided with nesting site for many weeks an given access to more calcium than usual in the form of available limestone. If conditions have not been optimum, then a gravid female will likely run into problems. A nesting site should be available throughout the year so that they can be aware of it's presence in readiness for use if need be. I'm assuming your vet used oxytocin. If so, did he use calcium borogluconate for several days prior to this, as just wading in and inducing before looking into the condition more thoroughly, can cause lots of problems. I would never induce a tortoise unless there was a good reason for it not laying. Tortoises do not need to poo daily, they do not 'work' in the same way that mammals do. If she is not in optimum health though, it's best not to let them run with the males to be honest.

#3 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

The site for nesting has been in position for the last two years and is south facing so gets nice and warm.  She has laid eggs in this area before. I am now providing some extra warmth to the soil with heat from a halogen outdoor lamp as the sun doesn't seem to be doing its job at the moment.  This is why I thought she was not laying......too dull and overcast with no real warmth.  There are always heaps of limestone flour in various positions in Tort Lodge Gardens....and cuttlefish bone, though I rarely see any of the torts eat it.  They just seem to like ploughing through it and spreading it around.  She has always seemed healthy, she eats well and is very active, climbing and being inquisitive, and as I said I was surprised to see an area of gravel or something on the x-ray.  x x x x hugs x x x

#4 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:27 PM

Hope she sorts herself out soon stella,then have some babies on the way :).best wishes
Matt

#5 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

MATT, I shall just be glad to get her up and chasing about. They all seem very quiet today as it is much cooler than last week. I am trying not to fuss around her so she can do her own thing. I am watching her like a hawk in case there are any changes. None today x x hugs x x

#6 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

Sorry stella,babie torts are the last thing on your mind :/ i hope she starts too look up soon with hibernation approching!yes i bet you are,i would be watching her like a hawk too!yes mine were less active today with the cooler weather too.best of luck stella keep us up dated on any news
Matt

#7 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:46 AM

Today is a no fuss day!!!! I am planning to do some gardening... So one eye in the enclosure x x x hugs x

#8 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:41 PM

When I got home today there was an egg on tne decking. It looks like a magpie has been and collected it.
Girl Bubble was much brighter, I bathed her and she had a good drink, then tried to climb out. When I put her in the enclosure she quickly went for her tea!!
I am guessing she is feeling much better, though I will watch her tomorrow to make sure x x x hugs x x

#9 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:11 PM

Brilliant news stella :) hopefully she will hurry up and pass the others soon :)

#10 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:15 PM

Can't tell you what a relief it is x x x hugs x x

#11 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:34 AM

Stella, I notice Girl Bubble is no longer on your creep's namelist; I do hope you haven't lost her after her recent difficulty.

#12 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:43 PM

Stella, I notice Girl Bubble is no longer on your creep's namelist; I do hope you haven't lost her after her recent difficulty.

Yes Graham, I did loose her. After a number of visits to the vets and X-rays it was discovered that there was a growth which was obstructing the passage of eggs. I had her booked in for a hysterectomy to take the eggs away but the day before she was due she had an 'episode' and on the way to the vets she passed away.
I am not sure what the growth was, she had laid many eggs before without any trouble, which is why I couldn't understand why she was having difficulty laying. I guess these things happen, but it was a very bad time for her x x x hugs x x

#13 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:46 PM

Oh, Stella, I'm so sorry to hear that; I was really hoping she'd fully recover.

Thinking of you  :hugs :xxx

#14 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:52 PM

Very sad - RIP Girl Bubble :(

#15 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:53 PM

Very sad - RIP Girl Bubble :(

#16 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:05 PM

Sorry to hear girl bubble has been sadly passed away stella,nature is cruel thing but at least she had great care and a good life RIP

#17 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:25 PM

So sorry to hear you lost Girl Bubble ,Stella. I remember when you lost Michelle. It was a sad time. :(  Thinking of you ... 

Take care

Freddy

#18 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:30 PM

Sorry to hear that Stella. :( Sending you big hugs. xxx

#19 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

Thank you all for your kind comments. I must admit I had thought I had updated everyone. Though to be fair I did do a lot of soul searching as to why this had happened. Her initial X-Ray showed a lot of 'stones' and though I have watched her such a lot I never put her down as a stone eater..... And she had eggs in pole position. Never saw her once attempt to eat stones. However, she had a very different life before I rehomed her and at least she got to do what tortoises do for a few years.
Freddy, Michelle was very special as you know, and I still miss her. Everyone on this forum was very supportive at the time, though now I do have a dreadful fear of RNS. I throw myself in a panic when any of my creep blow water from their nose when I bath them. And I always carry them at a tilt, to check they don't have runny noses.
And now I have Bertha, 80 yrs old, and in a dreadful mess. I am taking her to the vets on Monday for an X-ray, blood tests and a check over, and anything anyone can advise. Bless her, despite my best efforts she will not walk. Her left leg does not have any claws, so she scrapes at the ground just slowly digging a hole. If I put her on stones she can get a bit of a grip, but progress is slow. She doesn't lift up on her legs at all. Basically she doesn't move far unless I pick her up. I bathe her at least every other day, she has no strength to her neck, just her head is out of her shell. She creaks when she moves a bit like rubbing your fingers over leather, and seems to eat very little. However she had been hibernated every year, so I left her to do it herself this year and although she didn't dig down she had a very successful hibernation in Tort Lodge. I made sure she was covered with soil, and she didn't loose any weight. Now she is up, I have her in heat, bathing daily and feeding weeds..... and still moving her around.
I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do with her really.
I rehomed her from someone whose family had had her since she came into the country all those years ago, she was a vets nurse, but I am afraid I would not count on that being a reason for keeping her in the proper way. You may say I am daft, but it just wanted her to be able to explore and do tortoise things so couldn't resist re homing her.
So anyway, what Bertha is as far as I can see is a beautiful tort which will probably fund lots of lovely holidays for my reptile vet!!!!
Any suggestions.
Oh Graham........I bet you never thought you would get all this when asking about poor Girl Bubble, bless her
X x x hugs x x

#20 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:16 PM

Stella, once again, I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of Girl Bubble, it's heartbreaking when we lose a tortoise on the forum. We have to be brave, though, and accept that nature takes it's course, and we lose our closest. 

I'm glad to hear, though, that you've taken on Bertha; you've obviously got some initial problems here, but, no doubt, with your love, care and attention, she's in the best hands possible.

Please do keep us updated on her progress.

RIP little Girl Bubble  :cry:

xxxxxxx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users