Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:23 PM

Lol .... Any ideas for Bertha Graham? X x x hugs x x

#22 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:01 PM

Stella, just a thought, but did all your tortoises have a lengthy quarantine period before introducing? If not, I would separate them now and keep apart for several months. As I say, just a thought.

#23 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:14 AM

Yes Bertha is still on her own, I plan to keep her that way this summer whilst I sort her out. Hopefully the reptile vet can put some light on her difficulties on Monday xX x hugs x x

#24 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

I had Bertha at the vets on Monday. We had a very long chat and I feel much less worried about her now. I had a blood test done ( he was calling it a post hibernation test' and it seems that all the stuff they tested for came back as ok. He is expecting the second part of the test 'an organ function' bit to come back tomorrow. Fingers crossed that comes back ok too.

He had a good look at her clawless leg, and watched her move and suggested that it was probably damaged years ago and she has adapted to it, a bit like us walking a particular way and it becomes the norm. He says she appears to have a 'short' neck, as she does stretch it out as far as it will go.

And since I got her home I have her on flat terrains so she can grip, complete with her own light on not too steep a hill. She can get about much easier there. Do you think there is a chance she will gain more strength in her legs the more she uses them? And then maybe I can start introducing challenging dips and substrates x x x hugs x x

#25 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:54 PM

Hi, Stella, glad to hear you're feeling more confident now, and that Bertha appears to be progressing. If she's not been mobile for some time, then her leg muscles will be atrophied; however, if she's now being able to get around easier, then they will strengthen. With Spring more or less upon us now, hopefully, Bertha will be a bit more energized, and along with your TLC should begin to show progress.
Do keep us updated as to how she's doing.
XXX

#26 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:19 PM

If she is having problems taking weight on her legs, then you can stick one of those round self adhesive furniture bumpers onto the plastron to make life easier until her muscles strengthen. I have used these on tortoises with limb problems with really good results.

#27 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:59 AM

I might have a go at that Sue. Just normal strong glue. I am going to give her a short while and see how she adapts. But will use your idea if there is no progress x x x

#28 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

They are usually self adhesive Stella but you can use epoxy resin if you prefer a longer fix. I have found that it give torts with front limb problems more confidence and once they realise they can walk easier, they go zooming along and so build up more strength in the muscles :D

#29 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

Ha ha ha Sue. The clue was in your first post... One of those SELF ADHESIVE...... I really should learn to read properly.
I had a call from the vets to say the 'organ function' side of the blood test came back with no concerns. So happy with her health I will now start on her wellbeing. Her nice new home arrived today, I went for one like yours Kelly. X x x

#30 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

Sue, I googled self adhesive furnature bumpers and some were plastic and some were cloth! And there was a multitude of choice.... Can you advise which is best please x x hugs x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users