11 replies to this topic

#1 Baskinginthesun

Baskinginthesun

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:07 PM

Just to say hello to everyone on here!!
I am getting 2 Hermanns yearlings in the next few weeks & I am SO excited!!!
Have done hours of reading through all the posts on here & other websites to get as much information as possible.
I have now got my indoor enclosure ready & will have to move this outside for the rest of this season, when appropriate, until I hibernate them.
I am planning an outdoor enclosure for next spring.
I have 3 Jack Russell terriers (terriorists?!) so my Torts will be well fenced in & kept separate! I also have a huge 3legged cat but he is so good natured & laid back he won't be a problem- however I wouldn't want him to get in with the Torts & poo in there!!
Sadly I have been ill health retired from a job I adored but at least I now am around full -time & can have pets.
I have already learnt lots from you all- thankyou - but it's lovely to know I'll be able to come on here for help & advice.

#2 Baskinginthesun

Baskinginthesun

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

Should have said - my name is Kate!

#3 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

Hello Kate, welcome to the forum. You seem to have got things well sorted for the arrival of your hatchlings. Hope you have a camera so we can have an abundance of photos x x x hugs x

#4 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

Hi Kate,
Welcome to the forum. Glad you found us. We are a friendly, helpful bunch. You will get plenty of great advice here and make many new friends. Hope you enjoy your stay. Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:06 AM

hi Kate

welcome to the forum, any questions you have just ask there's always someone around to help.

looking forward to seeing pictures of your new hatchlings. :)

#6 Baskinginthesun

Baskinginthesun

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

Update....

Am picking up my new babies tomorrow!!!!
(Happy dance round the garden now!!!!)

Will post pictures ASAP - thanks for your kind words of welcome!!
Kate

#7 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:56 PM

I hope it wasn't a rain dance Kate :umbrella:  :umbrella:  :umbrella: :umbrella:  :whistle:  

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:34 PM

Hi Kate

Lovely to see you here :D

Sue

#9 Baskinginthesun

Baskinginthesun

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:54 PM

Thanks Sue,
All well here , after lots of exploring they've dug down to sleep. Can't wait to see them in the morning.
Thanks Kate x

#10 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:54 PM

You will probably think they have been stolen as they will be out of view at first. It's even worse with tiny ones and most new keepers know the frantic searching with finger tips. Once the lights go on, they will surface and keep you from doing housework for the rest of the day :D

#11 Baskinginthesun

Baskinginthesun

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:55 PM

Yes I was a bit concerned this morning- I couldn't find Ulysses anywhere!! Think I'm getting wise to their favourite spots now though!
They've been eating & drinking but I've not seen any wees or poos yet -they had another bath too. Seem pretty settled though so I'm really pleased.
X

#12 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

Don't worry about wee's or poos, they are not like mammals in that they go every day. Wee's are only noticeable if they are eating wet food and you see them do it or when they are in the bath. They don't wee like us when the bladder is full, they hold onto it until they can replenish with new supplies - it's a wild instinct thing. They also have an accessory bladder, so not like us at all :) Poos of course, might be eaten, again a wild thing - yuk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users