• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

I've been really lucky and managed to get a fridge for £20 off a friend! So happy I never get bargains!

Now to get it stabilised ready for hibernation.

Can anyone recommend any thermometers?

As it's his first hibernation going to hibernate for 10 weeks...when should I start wind down? I was thinking start wind down middle of November then getting him up march so the weather would be better?

Many thanks

Laura

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:10 PM

Hi Laura,
You seem to be well prepared and on top of things for hibernation. It is early days yet but what you say sounds just fine. Personally, I would aim for an 8 week first time hibernation and extend it to 10 weeks all going well. Hopefully, there will be others along shortly with some thermometer advice as I'm a little unsure of the current models available. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:28 PM

Hi laura,
Great news in finding a fridge,thats a bargin at that price lol.freddy has given you great advice,look to be aiming for about 8weeks as its the first time and like freddy said if weights are looking good and not loosing to much then extent it a couple weeks!i do a quick check once a week for weights and if tempts are stable and dont fluxuate to much then they shouldnt loose to much weight.did u buy a larder fridge as fridges with freezer apartments built in them are avoided really for the obvs reasons of reaching low tempts!as for thermometers ive bought a few different ones ranging from a couple pounds up to £20 pounds but to be honest they all give out the same sort of reading but i usally connect a thermometer inside the box which the tort is in and 1 top and bottom.hope this helps
Matt

#4 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

Hi Freddy

Thanks for the reply, I did think that but with our rubbish unpredictable spring the last thing I wanted was to get him up then have him cooped up indoors in a table but don't think I'm going to have much choice!

Many thanks

Laura

#5 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

Hi Matt I replied before I saw your response! No freezer bit which is what I've been holding out for purposely, it's a little hot point under the counter one....I know such a bargain. For inside the box do you use a probe thermometer or just place one in there? Did you get yours off eBay? Sorry for all the questions. I know I'll have to weigh etc but am worried I'll disturb him haha! I'm silly!

#6 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:03 PM

That is a bargin then laura :)oh sorry yes i use probe thermometers so can read the temps from outside the fridge so i dont have to keep opening the door all the time,tho openening the door for about 30 secends aday and wafting fresh air in is needed lol.yes i bought them off ebay and seem to be ok!and if you say have 3 of them you know when 1 is faulty when reading differently to others rather than just having the 1 and not knowing if its working ok.when they are totally asleep which can take up to a good couple of weeks you wont disturb them if you are gentle and not to keep them out the fridge too long!i know the first time i attempted hibernation i was worried to death but once i got it out the way its actually quite easy using the fridge method! :)

#7 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:11 PM

Oh and another little tip laura is to put bottles of water in as it helps to stablise the tempts

#8 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

Yep was planning on putting the bottles of water in! Will have a look for some thermometers. Thanks for all your help I'm sure ill have more questions when wind down begins! Lol

#9 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:01 PM

Noworries happy to help.u will be fine,once you get this years hibernation out the way next year will be a doddle :)

#10 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:51 PM

......... But no less of a worry x x x x hugs x x

#11 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

I'm happy (because I know it's so healthy for him) and ultra nervous all rolled into one...I am a bit of a organised freak so just trying or be a prepared as possible :) lucky I've got a helpful bunch like you lot!!! And thank you so much for all your help x

#12 Loola

Loola

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

P.s Stella I absolutely love the names of all your torts and can't help but smile...x

#13 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:27 AM

Thank you...... :yay:  :yay: :yay:  :yay:  :yay:  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users