• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Baskinginthesun

Baskinginthesun

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

I've just got my first 2 baby Torts- Aloysius & Ulysses & at the moment they're in a big indoor rabbit cage that I'm taking outside for the rest of this season- then I am making an outdoor enclosure for the spring. Before I got my babies (today!!) I have made some additions to my outdoor security- getting a new gate made that's higher & I can padlock, trellissing to raise the height of my fence & stop people looking in as clearly & outdoor lighting etc.
just wondering what people thought about CCTV? What system do you use is it expensive to buy & fit?- any other security tips?
Thankyou very much.
Kate x

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:20 AM

hi Kate

I think some people use cctv from what I've read, I don't use it my self but I don't really tell many people that I keep tortoises even some of the people who live close by don't know I have them. ;)

I think you can pay a little or a lot for cctv I seen these when I was reading about it not sure though how good they are  http://www.amazon.co...s=wireless cctv

http://www.maplin.co...th-audio-104962.

hopefully someone else will be along soon to help more. :)

#3 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

Hello Kate, we have CCTV. A couple of cameras pointing at the enclosure...which records into a box which is in the loft I think. When it is set up properly I should be able to keep a check on my mobile phone.... But it has been like it is two years now so I don't hold my breath on that one.
It did come in useful one day when the houdinis in the enclosure liberated one of their mates!!! I checked back to give me a clue which direction it ran in the big wide world
We got it from maplins x x.

#4 Baskinginthesun

Baskinginthesun

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

Thanks for that - yes they both look ok Mildredsmam- I think the first one appeals- don't want to spend too much at the moment but those are reasonable & hopefully would act as a deterrent.
Thanks Stella - hadn't thought about that application- finding escape artists!!!
One of my sons would be able to fit them so that would make it cheaper too- I will think seriously about it.
Thanks

#5 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

Hi, I think the idea of recording so that we could see if our torts escaped, as it would give us a clue as to where, how and when is a good one; never thought of it myself. I do however, have one of those dummy CCTV cameras mounted on the wall; it acts as a deterrent against thieves (both torts and property), and high up so it can't be disabled by any intruder (unless they brought a ladder with them). I bought it from eBay, it was only about a tenner and looks completely realistic, has a flashing red LED light, and It even came with a warning sticker which I put by the catch lock on Harry's house in case any potential thief didn't see the camera itself.

I admit it's very unlikely Harry would get nicked, my garden is landlocked so to speak, no back lane or anything, so any would-be thief would either have to be one of the neighbours, or would have to venture through several gardens to get to him. I'm not taking any chances at all though, I love him too much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users