10 replies to this topic

#1 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:48 PM

Hi there :)

I recently got two tortoises both aged 3 (nearly 4) a boy and a girl. I'm worried about them not eating. On the first day they both ate a fair amount in the garden (clovers mostly) however now as I try to hand feed they have been eating less and less, I try to feed them carrots, parsnips, green beans or some dandelion flavoured pellets. They live on a tortoise table I made myself (see picture) with a 80watt UVA + UVB bulb. They both seem to try and sleep in the dark bit under the platform and will stay there until I get them out.

Please help me figure out what could be wrong, maybe I'm worrying too much and they're fine, but I just want to be sure.

Thanks,
Daniel

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:25 AM

hi Daniel

welcome to the forum. :)

tortoises don't really like change so if you haven't had them long it will take them time to settle into a new enclosure, do you know what temperatures your getting in the table warm end and cool end.

as for their diet I would stop feeding the pellets and any fruit or veg the best diet for them is weeds, plants and flowers have a look on here its really good it tells you what's good to feed and what's not  http://www.thetortoi...e/plants_19.asp ;)

#3 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:28 AM

I agree, they need time to settle in to their new environment. If they were eating at first and have now stopped it could be something as simple as a temperature change too. Too many sugars and proteins will upset the gut big style, so best to stick to recommended foods and I would not start hand feeding or it could take months to stop them and create a really fussy animal. As you have found, it only makes matters worse, far better to scatter the food around in whole leaves and let them go looking for it, which helps with muscle development too.

#4 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

Thanks guys, Im off today to got some top soil instead of te vets substrate. This is so I can make a couple of inches of substrate to bury in (it is only about 2cm at the moment). Also I may buy a thermostat, how does one normally go about measuring the temp of different places in the table?

#5 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

I bathed them and mixed there substrate with some topsoil and they loved it! Shelly (my girl tortoise) just kept doing laps whilst Bash (the boy) just kept trying to climb under the bag of topsoil. They are eating loads now and bash slept in the upper platform in the hut and buried himself a little (I think he may have been a but hot or cold but I don't know). Anyway, the basking area is in the middle of the table and is about 36 degrees Celsius, whilst the cooler areas are about 23 - 26 degrees. Is this okay for them? Are they supposed to be sleeping whenever I put them in the table as they bask for about 20 minutes and then just sleep.

Thanks,
Daniel

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

You could do with moving the hot spot a bit nearer the end to give a better heat gradient. 36 degrees is rather hot, they need a cooler area to go to where they can dig down. Tearing around is most likely a stress thing, due to change in substrate etc but will settle given time and no more changes for a while.

#7 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:06 AM

I'm going to try moving the lamp away soon and see how they respond, I think they are happy at the moment, however I don't know of they are oversleeping, how much should they normally sleep in 24 hours?

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:43 AM

In the wild, you won't see tortoises tearing around all day. They come out in the morning, warm up, go on a food hunt, bask a bit more and then hide until later in the day when they might come out again for another forage or they them may dig in for the night. Don't make it easy for your tortoises, as in don't feed from a dish (I have lots of tortoises but don't possess a tortoise dish), spread the food around to make them look for it and make their enclosure interesting,  but don't keep changing it. They need to climb and search for food or they will just get bored and lazy.

Hope this helps

#9 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

sue has gave great advice and yes the basking tempt is rather hot,id be looking to get about 32c and the surrounding air tempt about 19-20c during the day

#10 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

That's great thanks, I will move the lamp to the other end and take out their food bowls

#11 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

My torts are outside and tend to do exactly what Sue has said... They warm up, feed, mosey around and then rest.... They wander around a bit and see what food is around and then settle down for the night.
I feed in the morning... Just throwing their weeds on stones or slates... But what they eat in the afternoon is the mornings dried left overs... Or yesterday's!!
I clear out all uneaten weeds once a week and start again.
It is good they have to search for the food, as it keeps them active searching for it. It is also good to watch them x x. Hugs x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users