• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Sheli88

Sheli88

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:35 PM

He's not a novice Sue. This is his forum and his website is http://www.hermann-tortoise.co.uk/ x

#22 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:49 PM

The soil in my indoor section is at least 12-14 inches deep and i never turn over as it stays moist under neith.also water it every couple days with a watering can allowing the surface to slightly dry out
Matt

#23 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

He's not a novice Sue. This is his forum and his website is http://www.hermann-tortoise.co.uk/ x

Interesting ;) I still say it's not full Thb. Not sure how the pics are set out on the website, but I would say not all Thb either ;) You could ask Testudo hermanni experts on other forums.

#24 shaz

shaz

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

This is Darrans forum lol

#25 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

I figured that out - it doesn't change the opinion though ;) I don't think all of the torts on the website are Thb. Obviously, not sure which ones are breeding, but the baby does not look pure Thb IMHO.

#26 Sheli88

Sheli88

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

There are more pictures on this link if anyone wants a look

http://postimg.org/g...kqqg2/c9f43d80/

He doesn't have any inguinal scutes, I know that much lol

Sheli x

#27 shaz

shaz

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

Hes SOOOOOOO CUTE  :wub:

#28 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:37 PM

To be honest it will be much easier when he is older. Do you wish to breed from him?

#29 Sheli88

Sheli88

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

No, we don't plan to breed. 

#30 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:40 PM

Then it doesn't really matter if he is a hybrid. Just be careful though if you do ever want to breed as it would be a shame if tortoises became breeds instead of just species, in the way that dogs and cats have gone :( I can see a fair few problems in this direction in the future, sadly. Often such offspring are sterile, but not always :(

#31 shaz

shaz

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

So many people who I have spoken to, don't even know there's different sub species of herman, and they own them. If bought from pet shop, I've never know a pet shop to know the sub species. Shame really

#32 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:44 AM

No pet shops don't even care what species it is so long as they get rid of them all and the papers. It's up to the owner to know before breeding though and so many just say if it's not hermanni hermanni then it must be boettgeri :( Imagine if we did that with dog breeds, even worse than creating the breeds in the first place :(

#33 shaz

shaz

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

I disagree, pet shop should be able to tell U what the sup species is before U buy them. Yes U should know what ur buying but I don't think even they know if there cross breeds

#34 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

But, how can pet shops even know what subspecies they are when DEFRA do not even put the info on the certs. I register all my babies with DEFRA giving specific details on each application. They ALL without exception come back with : Species - hermanns tortoise. They state that breeders must give all the info when applying but come back with this rubbish - at the end of the day they do not care. When captive bred tortoises are running into trouble because of cross breeding etc, the next step will be for them to stop the captive breeding of tortoises in the UK, giving importers (who will not question the subspecies) full rein to sell whatever rubbish they wish. Even if pet shops were given the correct info, the majority would still just supply the next paper off the pile to accompany the sold tortoise home. This leaves it wide open to not only mix the Boetgeri and hercegovinensis sub species up, but also to risk selling the much smaller hermanni hermanni amongst them too :( When asked, how they give out certs, this is what most will tell you. Each and every one of my own tortoises has their own details and date of birth on their own certificate and are marked on hatching to make sure that they are given the corresponding papers. It's a pain to apply for but so far I have managed this successfully.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users