Pets At Home

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:46 PM

My local Pets at Home shop has had a refurbishment.... Now it seems to be 'cats and dogs at home' as they no longer sell any hedgehog food.... Wild bird food is a minimum. They have a small section of ' small animal' which takes in rabbits, guinea pigs etc... It all seems rubbish!!! Is it just my local one or is it general Pets at Home policy x x x hugs x x

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

I suppose it depends on how you look at it Stella. Many of us welcome the lack of exotics input from these outlets, as they often give such bad advise. I absolutely dread the day they get back into torts as they had a heck of a lot to answer for with their dreadful starter kits, sickly imports etc etc. Is it not possible to feed hedgehogs on a natural diet? I know when I found a litter of hoglets in my last garden, the mum having been squashed on the road outside, I got some really good advice from Tigglywinkles and successfully reared the tiny things to a size where they were able to go on their way again.

Sorry not to be much support.

#3 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

Hi Sue... I agree with you regarding exotics.... and i think they tried fish at one point... it is just i used to get the semi dried hedgehog food and the wild bird food from there... And 'toys' for my sons Love Birds.... as it was local...but that has all stopped. As regards the hedgehogs.... There are plenty of snails/slugs/ worms at the moment but come pre hibernation I like to think I am encouraging them to the safety of my garden by helping them through the autumn x x x hugs x x
X x x hugs x x

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:37 PM

Oh they are wild hedgehogs lol. Wasn't going to go down the route of captive ones if you get my drift. Tiggywinkles, told me to get Butchers tripe and raw eggs and to use a ridge tile to prevent foxes etc getting to the food. Do be careful of hedgehogs with torts too, as there have been cases of them having the odd nibble of youngsters and juveniles.

http://www.tortoiset...es/dangers.html

#5 paulmblythe

paulmblythe

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:26 AM

We have two pets at homes local to us. They both are mainly cats, dogs, small mammals and fish but one does sell some reptile equipment (mainly for lizards. They do sell combined uv heat lamps but they are not cheap!

#6 KateR

KateR

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Pet rats, animals in general, loud rock music and live gigs, tattoos, piercings, exotic holidays, reading.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

P@H are best avoided if at all possible.  Their rodents come from rodent farms, where they are bred back to back, not handled and there is no consideration of health or temperament.  They regularly mess up on sexing too, when with rats, for example, you can sex them from the day they're born and by the time they are old enough to be sold there are very clearly differences between males and females.  They give out incorrect information too.  

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

I'm so glad you posted that, didn't want to put another negative post on lol. As far as I am concerned Pet's at Home is one of the worst places for Pet Advice and will most certainly have contributed to the deaths of many rabbits, guineapigs, birds and not least tortoises. Thankfully a big stink was kicked up by many re the selling of tortoises and although I hope they have stopped selling them completely, I have to go in when I see one just to check :(

#8 KateR

KateR

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Pet rats, animals in general, loud rock music and live gigs, tattoos, piercings, exotic holidays, reading.

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:18 AM

We've been involved or seen friends be involved in picking up the pieces of their incompetence and poor ethics far too many times sadly.

#9 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:47 AM

I once went into one after they had started selling tortoises and asked what I would need to start keeping a small tortoise. I was told the tortoises would not grow very big if kept in a small tank (Aaaaaargh!!) and that I could feed the ready made food and give it the amount to keep it small ( Aaaaaaargh!!) It should be kept on the rabbit pellets as substrate and given the odd lettuce or cabbage leaf. I queried this as opposed to what they would get in nature and was told these were captive tortoises and so would not know what happened in nature. I gave them some printouts of my website and others and asked them to rethink how they were slowly destroying these lovely animals with such poor advice. Apparently the sellers (dealers importers) instructions were to be relied on above any advice from nutters/activists coming into the shop to cause trouble. They don't sell them now, but I reckon they must have had a lot more complaints than just mine for this to happen. Same thing happened at a local garden centre where a russian was tearing strips off a hermann and deemed by the staff to be just playing as they were teenagers!! They don't sell them any more either thankfully.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users