He's really cute- I'm a new owner too!
Kate

#3 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

What a beautiful little tort, Leo's lovely. The enclosure wont stay looking like that for long though, you'll soon discover tortoises are experts at trashing their surroundings, little hooligans  :laugh:

#4 Dean

Dean

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Archery

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

Hi Graham,

I wish Leo would trash his surroundings, he spends all of his time asleep. :( 

Dean.

#5 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:18 PM

Maybe that is the answer Dean. Is he an import (sorry if we already asked that)? If so he may not like his nice tidy enclosure. Try making it look more natural, with some sprawling plants for him to hide under and less open spaces. Tiny tortoises like to hide, especially if they have not been hatched in this country.

#6 Dean

Dean

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:32 PM

Hi Sue, :wave:

Leo is an import. What type of plant would you suggest as we don't have soil as a substrate.

Cheers.

Dean.

#7 Baskinginthesun

Baskinginthesun

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

I have got a couple of plants in pots in my table - they do add some height & colour & provide hidey places. I have got a spider plant & a carex grass at the moment (have read that these are safe if Torts have a little nibble!!) I don't expect them to last forever but can always put them in bathroom to recover & replace them.
Katy

Attached Files

#8 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:49 PM

Hello Dean

Leo look's such a little cutie,enjoy your new little one :)

Jayne

#9 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:11 PM

Hi Sue, :wave:

Leo is an import. What type of plant would you suggest as we don't have soil as a substrate.

Cheers.

Dean.

You really need to get him onto a natural substrate Dean, as this could well be why he is misbehaving. Think of where he came from and try to mimic it as much as possible. He will be stressed, moving to a new surrounding and needs to have deep natural substrate to dig down in just as in the wild. Petshops generally give very poor advice, so I would pretty much ignore their advice on substrates, heating etc and look at info that genuine long term breeders have supplied. I would put a few spider plants in, or a hebe, so he can snuggle down under the roots or leaves and feel more at home. Stick a few random rocks in too and try to make it look as natural as possible and dull, rather than bright and carefully set out. He will thank you for that at least. Offer him wild food and not shop bought stuff if possible.

#10 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:15 PM

Just looked at your pic again Dean. I would add some soil to that coconut mix and make it deeper. Move the light away from the rocks or vice versa as they will become dangerously hot. Rocks and slate are great but not under the lamp as he will not be able to bask properly as all heat needs to come from above, not underneath. Hope this helps ;)

#11 Dean

Dean

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

Thanks for all your advice.

Dean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users