Our Enclosure

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 KateR

KateR

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Pet rats, animals in general, loud rock music and live gigs, tattoos, piercings, exotic holidays, reading.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:33 PM

We spent the bank holiday sorting an outdoor enclosure for our tortoise-to-be. It's not totally finished - needs more substrate and the weed membrane needs trimming. I've got a wooden house and a cold frame coming too, as well as various other seeds, plants, hides etc. And we have mesh for the top for protection.  The garden is south facing.  

We dug out the turf, put down sand for drainage, then put down wire mesh to prevent digging out, then the weed-suppressing membrane. The plants are lavender, rosemary, dahlia, hebe and coreopsis.

Any thoughts, improvements needed, things to add etc? 

E7EBB7E5-46F2-4863-A4CD-E6721B44367B-215
B384C9CA-C638-4632-9ACA-6786FEC9898B-215
4A411817-DCD5-48F6-9034-EA94D182063C-215
07E75D95-9392-49F2-879C-E9D73A1DF1D1-215
4998E9DC-E0C9-45EF-BEF0-BB3AA71FCF9D-215
66876A02-88BC-434D-98C5-9731C31F6E59-215
7BF5132C-6E71-464D-8CD0-7CB3A1449C23-215
F5C8AF00-A8F5-4C7D-921A-9AF9EF3FCA52-215
4BDB726B-3BC8-4479-BF1B-2A58AF7F3686-215
222E20DA-B08B-4CB2-BDE8-5936FD3B9C6E-215

#2 Dean

Dean

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Archery

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:05 PM

Hi Kate,

How about a Jacuzzi, that looks impressive.

Dean.

#3 KateR

KateR

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Pet rats, animals in general, loud rock music and live gigs, tattoos, piercings, exotic holidays, reading.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:33 PM

:blink2: Jacuzzi?

#4 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

Hello

Look's like you have been very busy,looking good,can't wait to see it finished,by the way dahlia is on the non edible list anything tubular no good.

Jaynex

#5 KateR

KateR

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

Oh right, I read that it was ok http://www.thetortoi...tID=538&st=true

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:48 PM

It's fine Kate for tortoises ;)

#7 KateR

KateR

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:04 AM

Thank you.  I want to make sure I'm doing it all right!

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

What species are you getting, as unless you are going for horsfields, you do not need to line it with anything so long as the log roll goes into the ground for a couple of inches. It's not the one in your pic is it LOL

#9 KateR

KateR

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

Lol no, definitely not the one in the profile pic - that's from a wildlife park in Sheffield.  Would love one of them but got to be sensible!  We're after a Hermann's - been e-mailing you Wizzasmum.  

Ozric - cold frame arrived yesterday so will get it set up ASAP.

#10 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

Oh right lol. When I leave emails, everyone changes profile in my head. Were you interested in the spurthigh at all?

#11 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:01 PM

Hello

I was told a long time ago that dahlia was on the non edible list as it was a tubular plant as i had read somewhere that it was okay so there are some different views on this plant,i wonder whose right???????

Jaynex

#12 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:54 PM

It's mainly bulbs you have to watch out for. Remember too that many lists when talking toxicity are taking the info from mammals point of view. Many plants that are not edible for mammals are fine for torts, such as buttercup. A field full of buttercups would be dangerous to horses, but studies of wild tortoises faecal samples have shown a fairly high proportion of young buttercups. They used to be a pest in my garden when I moved in, not there are none ;)This does not mean to say that all toxic plants are OK for torts, they are not, just some of them. Some of my own studies of tortoises eating in the wild show them eating poppies, buttercups and others that we always thought they would not eat. They have a totally different digestive system to mammals, so some will not be toxic by the time they have passed through the very slow digestive system.

#13 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

This is very interesting Sue, as I am sure plenty of us use the Tortouse Table site for what's safe or not for our torts. I have had many a battle with a tort heading towards a buttercup flower.
X x x hugs x x

#14 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

Yes ive noticed the old spur-thigh i inherited eats the young buttercup flowers,she loves them and doesnt seem to do her any harm

#15 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:38 PM

So I won't panic then. I thought it was just the yellow they were following...... Dandilion flowers!! Do torts see colour? .... Or just sniff what is nice?
One thing I have noticed over the years is the general acceptance that dandilions are great tort food. Although this is ok.... Am I right in thinking plantain is far better, and this should be the food we are looking at as 'staple' when other weeds are scarce x x x hugs x

#16 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

This is very interesting Sue, as I am sure plenty of us use the Tortouse Table site for what's safe or not for our torts. I have had many a battle with a tort heading towards a buttercup flower.
X x x hugs x x

Well yes, the tortoise table is a very good site, but it does not mention I don't think just how many plants are actually edible for tortoises that are quite toxic to others. It's usually at the start of the season that this happens and you will find that even dandelions, when getting older and more tough are not taken quite so greedily as when young and tender before flowering. After flowering the composition changes considerably and the tortoises do seem to know that there is a change in them. Rhubarb leaves are also listed as toxic, but I have known torts eat them in Med gardens where some people have grown it, with no ill effects. The major problem with them is oxalic acid, which if not given to excess can be coped with as part of a mixed diet ;)

#17 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:37 AM

So I won't panic then. I thought it was just the yellow they were following...... Dandilion flowers!! Do torts see colour? .... Or just sniff what is nice?
One thing I have noticed over the years is the general acceptance that dandilions are great tort food. Although this is ok.... Am I right in thinking plantain is far better, and this should be the food we are looking at as 'staple' when other weeds are scarce x x x hugs x

Yes, torts see colour. Mine always go for toes with red nail varnish on them ;) While they do have an idea what is good and what is bad, there are many cases of tortoises ingesting certain plants that have killed them, particularly young torts. It's not possible to say which plant is better as all with have advantages and disadvantages and in the wild they would just take advantage of what is in season, so gorge on dandelion plants for a time (spring, summer), then plantain and so on in late summer and autumn, so the key is to give as varied a diet as possible, avoiding stuff that is obvious more toxic where possible and not deliberately growing stuff for them that is high in goitrogens or saponins etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users