Fridge Help

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 KateR

KateR

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Pet rats, animals in general, loud rock music and live gigs, tattoos, piercings, exotic holidays, reading.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

I am looking at options for a fridge for hibernation.  we do have a wine cooler but it doesn't go down cool enough so won't be suitable.  Would any of these be ok?

Or would it need to be bigger?

There is one on the Argos website but it looks like it might have a freezer compartment http://www.argos.co..../TOP FRIDGE.htm

Or can anyone recommend a specific fridge please?

Thank you.

#2 KateR

KateR

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Pet rats, animals in general, loud rock music and live gigs, tattoos, piercings, exotic holidays, reading.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:07 PM

Or this? http://www.argos.co....ber/1211960.htm

#3 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

Your best bet is a larder fridge with no freezer compartment. The mini fridges and drinks coolers often don't get cold enough and then struggle to maintain stable temps.

#4 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:11 PM

Something like this: http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2581727e03

#5 KateR

KateR

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:15 PM

or there's a 6 litre one? http://www.argos.co....ber/1379943.htm

#6 KateR

KateR

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:16 PM

Sorry x-posted.  I knew it needed to be without a freezer compartment.  Thanks for the link.

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

Hi Kate
Worth knowing that even without a freezer compartment, you must keep the boxes well away from the back of the fridge, in case this is where the cooling element is as temps get much colder behind solid objects in this position, hence why ice sometimes accumulates on the back ;)

#8 KateR

KateR

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:02 AM

Thank you everyone.  I'll go for a larder fridge and remember that about the back.  There's a couple near us on Preloved  that look suitable so hopefully I can pick one of those up.

#9 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:28 AM

I've tried a beer fridge in the past as they take up less space. But I did find it difficult to get a stable enough temperature and the next year I got a larder fridge and it's so much better for me at least. The larder one seems to stay at the same temp the whole time except when I open the door. So after trying it myself I don't recommend the smaller ones now.

If it's a fridge with a freezer compartment it might still be alright as most of them are not capable of getting the whole thing below freezing when it is inside our houses, even if we did put it up to maximum. But yes it's safer to get one that doesn't try to get to freezing at any time.

It's also possible to get a thermometer with an alarm. The probe can inside the fridge and the other bit outside it so you can see what's going on without opening it every time you want to check.

Beer fridges are not recommended and when I contacted the manufacturers once many years ago about temperature stability etc, they said that as the fridge was never designed to keep food fresh and was not rated as such, it was not possible to guarantee any average temps. It's something to do with the health issues when making fridges. Household fridges need to keep a stable temp and so use more sophisticated device to do this(I'm not technically minded lol), but as cans, bottles of drinks etc have a long shelf life anyway, this does not matter - so never use a drinks fridge for hibernation, it's just not safe.
If your stat fails on one with a freeze box, it will keep going for longer than a larder fridge apparently and might very well freeze your torts. There was a post by a lady who literally froze her horsfield adults to death some years ago, which was very sad :(

#10 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

Yes i agree with keeping them away from the back of the fridges sue as i notice mine creats abit of ice on the element and im guessing if people are using carboard boxes they would get very damp causing mold

#11 Marcus

Marcus

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:32 PM

Hi

Just finding my way around the forum, sorry but only just posted the same request as this - Fridge info. I'll investigate a larder but might be tight on space.

marcus

#12 KateR

KateR

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:44 AM

Got hold of a larder fridge with no ice box so will get cracking on checking out temperatures etc next.

#13 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:54 PM

Great news kate hope all goes well :) i aim for about 4-5c im my larder fridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users