Photo

And Our Tortoise Table

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

Exactly, as mentioned, skin absorption takes longer ie possible reason for weight gain in hibernation, but there is a route via the cloaca to take on enough fluid to gain weight. If you've not seen it then I guess it is hard to take in ;)  As for them drinking polluted water, have you never seen one follow another and drink the pee? I have. Rhinos do it too :blink2:  Disgusting, but after all they are animals and don't seem to care if water is dirty or not - just look at what the Galapagos tortoises drink - yuk :P

#22 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

Hi, Ozric,

You're a much more experienced keeper than I, so I take on board your views. My main point, though, is that I reckon the reason for weight gain during hibernation is due to water absorption; I appreciate it's a matter of opinion of how this phenomena occurs, it's just that to me the obvious route is via the cloaca. Of course, I'm not au fait with tortoise anatomy, so I'm merely expressing my own views. 

In any event, it's an interesting topic to discuss.

#23 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:26 PM

I would have thought more likely via the skin if dug underground for long periods, as the cloaca, being a hollow organ would be more likely to take in water due to flooding if that makes sense. Just my take on it obviously. If anyone is on the TT forum, would be interested to here what the powers that be think there lol ;)

#24 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:02 PM

Stick one underground after weighing it and dig it up 6  months down the line lol

#25 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

My tortoise is certainly heavier after she has been exposed to rain. I suspect she absorbs water through her skin and shell.
Kind Regards
Freddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users