7 replies to this topic

#1 Marcus

Marcus

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:23 PM

Hi

I'm new to the forum and tortoise keeping, although I did have one in the 1970's when I was a kid, usual thing escaped and never seen again.

Read the info on mini fridges which suggest a larder fridge is possibly best. However I have not got enough space for a larder fridge, can any body recommend a table top fridge they have had success with. I need to possibly hibernate my 10 yrs old Herman. Which brings me to his weight, he's 14cm and weighs 530gms in excellent health , would he be safe to hibernate? Looked at the J ratio and he's on the cusp, its my first time as I only got him in March. He's very active, eats well and loves a bath , does all the usual things etc... however has not put on any weight since I 've had him. Should he have put on weight or if active do they burn it off?

I'm just about to organise a test for parasites before he is hibernated so any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Marcus

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:45 PM

If he has put on no weight since March, then you must not hibernate him but keep him going under lamps for the winter. how are you keeping him? You must also never worm them at this stage in the year. Worming must be done mid season/summer or you risk leaving some of the chemical residue in his gut.

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:32 AM

hi Marcus, welcome to the forum. :)

I agree with sue if your tortoise hasn't put any weight on I wouldn't risk hibernation this year, I always think its best to have your tortoise for a year or so to get to know them and make sure there's no health problems before you hibernate, you could always look into hibernation next year.

do you have space indoors to keep him awake over winter with heat and uv. ;)

#4 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:59 AM

Hello Marcus... Welcome to the forum x x x hugs x

#5 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

I agree with karen and sue,keep him awake this winter and hopefully he will put weight on next summer,its too risky as could be an underlining problem why hes not putting weight on.

welcome too the fourm :)
Matt

#6 Marcus

Marcus

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

Hi

Many thanks for the info, he seems in great health, however I will take him to the vet for a check up. I keep him in a large rabbit cage with a powersun  lamp. He didn't really take to eating weeds when I first had him, I think he was fed on Floret mix and pre prepared pellets (although the person I bought him from said it was all wild). I feed him on red radicchio (which I buy), Italian lettuce which is very much like dandelion and also dandelion both of which I grow in the veg patch). Also other bits that happen to spring up, all weeds are from my own organic garden. He's been out in the good weather and grazed with gusto. There isn't a problem with keeping him over the winter I just assumed he was in good health so the next step would be hibernation.

Tried another scales and a different container to hold him in and not surprisingly the result was different, it would appear he has gained weight. After repeatedly testing both scales he has gained 53g in 5 months exactly. Is this a good amount, average etc...?

What do you think?

Marcus

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

Hi

Many thanks for the info, he seems in great health, however I will take him to the vet for a check up. I keep him in a large rabbit cage with a powersun  lamp. He didn't really take to eating weeds when I first had him, I think he was fed on Floret mix and pre prepared pellets (although the person I bought him from said it was all wild). I feed him on red radicchio (which I buy), Italian lettuce which is very much like dandelion and also dandelion both of which I grow in the veg patch). Also other bits that happen to spring up, all weeds are from my own organic garden. He's been out in the good weather and grazed with gusto. There isn't a problem with keeping him over the winter I just assumed he was in good health so the next step would be hibernation.

Tried another scales and a different container to hold him in and not surprisingly the result was different, it would appear he has gained weight. After repeatedly testing both scales he has gained 53g in 5 months exactly. Is this a good amount, average etc...?

What do you think?

Marcus

I would not waste your time on a vet check if he is eating well as there is nothing they can tell you that you can't see for yourself unless you are thinking of having a full blood profile. I would be taking them a faecal sample and asking them to check for parasites and then go from there. As mentioned though if he needs worming, you must not put him into hibernation any time soon. The container when weighing should make no difference to the weight gain as presumable you set it back to zero before adding the tort ;) Do you have pics at all?
Hope this helps

#8 Marcus

Marcus

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

Many thanks.

Faecal sample it is then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users