• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 laurenh

laurenh

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:35 AM

We have rescued this tortoise, it was living in a small fish tank with straw, lots of its own mess, and we found a tea light in there too!!!

It was living with a hermanns and we have now separated them.

The previous owner had no interest in them.

Can anyone identify the species? We need to know asap so we know how to look after it!

Attached Files

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:49 AM

It looks like a Marginated tortoise to me. They're a Mediterranean species from Greece, so care is virtually the same of for Hermanns.

I'm sure others will be long soon to confirm whether or not I'm right on this one. ;)

#3 laurenh

laurenh

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:07 AM

Thank you! We have other hermanns so will do some research now!

#4 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

It makes me so, so angry when I hear stories like this; why on earth do people have pets and then not look after them properly?

Thank goodness you've come to the rescue, Lauren, let's hope the little fellow is soon back to health and living happily with you.

#5 laurenh

laurenh

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

Poor things had only been with previous owner for about 2 weeks (not what it said on their advert) we had been searching for a tortoise for my grandad, went to view these 2 poor things and had to take them! The woman probably made a pretty penny out of it but oh well!!
They are now in good hands with us I hope and will soon be up to mischief im sure!

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:30 PM

Yes, definitely a marginated tortoise.

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

Margies are very difficult to grow badly compared with other tortoises, so this little one might have more underlying problems than it first appears. He will need lots of light, warm soaks and a good supplement to help improve any already damaged bones. Good luck :D

#8 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:58 PM

Laurenh

i bet it was heart breaking seeing him living in those conditions,thank goodness you came a long,he's now in good hands.

Jayne

#9 laurenh

laurenh

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:19 PM

Yes! I dont care how much of a profit the woman made we just wanted them out! We saw them trying to eat fag butts in the garden!
Yuk!!
They literally havebt stopped eating since we got them home!

#10 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

Hopefully you obtained certificates with them. Unfortunately without them both parties broke the law and the other person in selljng them will have committed a serious offence.

#11 laurenh

laurenh

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

No they had been passed pillar to post so they both had no certificate

#12 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

I had a feeling she'd sold them to you illegally, Lauren; the woman should be prosecuted for selling the torts without a certificate, and for mistreatment of them.

#13 laurenh

laurenh

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:20 PM

She only had em for about a week. I have no idea where they come from. We have no intentions to sell so for us we dont care, they are now happy and will soon be back to full health!

#14 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

I do hope it all goes well, Lauren, the poor things have had a pretty rotten start in life; I'm really glad you've got them now.

Keep us updated with lots of pics xx

#15 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

The previous owners should really be reported to DEFRA as they do take this sort of thing seriously. If she has done it once, she may well be prepared to do it again. There are unscrupulous people who make a fair bit of money doing just this. A vet once asked me to help by contacting someone who was doing this with other animals that they had rescued. They were prosecuted, which might just have stopped them doing it again. Ignoring the problem never makes it go away unfortunately :(  All DEFRA ask for is a name and address ;)

Do be careful about letting them eat too much just yet as the overload could cause them kidney or liver damage - beast to take it slowly, concentrating on hydration first, so lots of warm baths, but only feed once a day and not enough for them to have any left over ;)  Keep an eye on the weight and just let them gain a few grams per month for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users