Hibernating A Yearling

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

I know that Sue is a big advocate of hibernating the tiny torts, so I'm going to bite the bullet and put Hazel in the fridge too this Dec. My juvenile hibernation plan worked really well for Norman...... question is..... how long a wind down do I do for a 66mm / 64g yearling? Would two weeks be sufficient?

I did three weeks for Norman, but he was a fair big bigger then her (108mm / 283g)..... I can't imagine it will take too long for her to empty her tiny gut! :rofl:

#2 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

Good luck with that Kelly, I am sure Hazel will benefit from being hibernated . X x x hugs x x

#3 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:29 PM

There's very little information out there for tiny tortoises..... most people are too scared a hibernate the little ones and the recommendations are that you wait until they are a few years old.

I need advice from those who have done it already. :)

#4 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

Sue will know, and I am sure she will be very supportive. Deep breaths Kelly... X x x hugs x x

#5 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:57 PM

LOL, yes, I hibernate all little ones from around 30 grams, just as in the wild. I do them for 8 weeks and give two weeks wind down - not lost one yet. When we were in Turkey, we got babies of 13 grams out of hibernation and they were fine too. The thing to get just right, apart from temp is humidity, so they need to go in soil which is nice and dense for their small bodies, preventing dehydration. Make sure too that they have soil to dig down into during wind down. I use soil for little ones as opposed to coconut fibre as there is less chance of moulds etc. Do the weighing the same as for big ones and if there is a sharp drop in weight then get them up. My babies lose far less weight than big ones proportionally and I take them for new owners too if they are too nervous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users