Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Love being with my 6 dogs.
    Reading.
    Trying to be a good tortoise owner.

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

Hi
Thanks for the advice. I've never had this problem with Dorothy, he's always been active during the whole year but seeing the 2 girls now i do appreciate they should be hibernated (just not this year) :(
I've checked the temps in the bedroom, it was 22C this morning at 5am, at around midday it was 23C & this evening when the central heating had kicked in it bad gone up to 26C. I've also raised the heat lamp because it was quite low & i was worried it was maybe to intense a heat in 1 spot. I got the girls up this morning before i left for work but when i popped in at lunch time they were back in their hut! I will persevere & see what happens. :(
Regards
Debbie

#22 Debbie

Debbie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 15 posts
    Reading.

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:01 AM

Hi
I haven't posted for a while, there hasn't been a lot to report. I couldn't go ahead & hibernate my tortoises, i just didn't have the bottle!
They are all active Zippy will get up on her own in the morning, i still have to get Winkle up but they do stay up & are eating well.
Now i have a new problem!!!!! Zippy will not leave Dorothy alone & keeps mounting him. He doesn't react in any way, he just stays there but because he is bigger than her she falls off him & lands on her back. I don't know if there is anyone from Birmingham on this forum but i am seriously thinking of giving the girls up for a new home but im so worried to just let them go somewhere & they not be treated correctly.
Dont know if anyone can help?
Regards
Debbie

#23 Debbie

Debbie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 15 posts
    Reading.

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:02 PM

ER!!! ERM?????
HELP!!!!!!!
I think i may have a new problem, i feel a bit stupid but im now thinking that Zippy must be a boy even though he has got a tiny tail, she/he is now mounting Dorothy & Winkle & wont leave them alone, i've taken him out the pen for now, so now i may need a new home for a little girl & a little boy!!!
I am sooooo having a stress attack!!! :(
Regards
Debbie

#24 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:11 PM

If you post some pictures of the tail ends from underneath, we may be able to sex them for you.

Even if you do have two females, you can sometimes have a dominant female who will display this behaviour. Lowering the temperatures slightly for the next couple of days may help to solve the problem temporarily, but if your dominant tort continues to stress the other one out, you may have no option, but to separate them.

#25 Debbie

Debbie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 15 posts
    Reading.

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:26 AM

Hi
Winkle is on the left, Zippy on the right
Regards
DebbieAttached File  20131216_061408.jpg   36.09KB   1 downloadsAttached File  20131216_061408.jpg   36.09KB   1 downloads

#26 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:16 PM

What size is the enclosure and what weights are your tortoises?

#27 Debbie

Debbie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 15 posts
    Reading.

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:57 PM

Hi
There enclosure is 5ft x 4ft but they do also have the run of the bedroom when we are there, but the fruitiness does only go on in the enclosure.
I do have to say so far Dorothy or Winkle do not appear to be slightly bothered by Zippys goings on!
Dorothy weighs 840g
Zippy weighs 580g
Winkle weighs 540g
Your thoughts on this would be most interesting please?
Regards
Debbie

#28 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:38 AM

I'd say it's definitely a territory thing, especially as you have them out of the area at times and then back to the much smaller territory. Giving them more room to roam a room can actually make this sort of problem worse and almost certainly comes down to a size issue. Your ambient temps are also probably too hot for the time of year. There is no easy way of putting it, but your girls do need a lot more room than they have presently, which is one reason why most keepers hibernate them during winter.  It IS unusual for two girls to fight, but if the boundaries are not constant, it can happen. I would just let them get on with it and depending on how long you have had them, look at a late hibernation period and give them lots of outdoor room in the summer. Also leave a window open when you are not using the room to literally cool them down for a period.

#29 Debbie

Debbie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 15 posts
    Reading.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:25 PM

Hi
I have to say to be fair it never looks particularly aggressive. Zippy mounts Dorothy (who's a boy) more than she does Winkle & he just doesn't take a blind bit of notice. I have gone out of my way to make the room hot, the heating is on full blast because i thought if i wasn't hibernating them then i would need to keep them warm to keep them active & eating? I was worried if it wasn't warm enough they wouldn't eat??
Regards
Debbie

#30 Debbie

Debbie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 15 posts
    Reading.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:33 PM

Hi Wizzasmum
Dont want to be cheeky but if worst come to worst would you be able to help me re-home the 2 girls?
I dont want to advertise them just anywhere, i would want them to go somewhere where i know they would be looked after properly?
Regards
Debbie

#31 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:51 PM

I do have a rehoming service Debbie and would do my best to help but at this time of year it is not so easy. You would need to contact me on wizzasmum@aol.com or via Tortsmad.com with pics of them both from above and below and possible profile, just to give general ID for prospective rehomers wanting to rehome with already established tortoise groups. Hope this helps and hope it is OK to put this here :/

#32 Debbie

Debbie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 15 posts
    Reading.

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:39 AM

Hi again
I turned down the heating slightly in the bedroom that the tortoises are in & it did seem to calm Zippy down a bit & they all seemed very relaxed together & would be there all tucking into their grub together. Now though Zippy has taken to biting the back of Dorothys legs (Dorothy is male) do you think this means its more likely that Zippy is male? Or would a female tortoise do this?
Regards
Debbie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users