New Mummy Worries...

Obsese lazy tortoise?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:11 PM

Sue.... (You will be so tired of all the questioning).... Mine are outside all the time, and ages vary from 80+ to 5 yrs... I was always under the impression not to supplement when fed a total weed diet. Are we now thinking that a sprinkling over weeds is the best course of action x x x hugs x

My adults have a pile of limestone that they top up from voluntarily, when needed. Where I live it is a very hard water area, which helps, but compared with the tortoises natural habitat, we don't usually have anything like the lime amount in the ground that they have in their native habitat. If you leave piles of limestone around, they will usually help themselves ;) Weeds will only provide more calcium in the diet if grown on soil that is high in calcium as in their natural habitat. Otherwise they will have the same levels as whatever else we grow for them ;) Obviously some plants, such as opuntia or aloe are naturally higher in calcium, but these are not good to feed in excess.

#22 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:28 PM

Ok... Guess I am on the right track then. They have heaps of limestone flour, which to be honest tends to be scattered, but it is there. X x x hugs x

#23 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:51 PM

Ok thanks sue,all mine are adult/sub adult so i supliment only a tiny amount every other day when indoors but maybe 2 times a week when outside
Regards matt

#24 newmummy

newmummy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:47 PM

Hi all,
Moving the feed to lunch time has certainly made her more active! Shes still not as active as the other one but she has probably quadrupled her awake/active time. One problem though she still hasnt pooped! The vet said to up her baths which i am doing. Any other tips to get things moving? Also, whats the advice on flipping over? This seems to be a regular thing!

#25 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:39 PM

Tortoises do not need to empty at the same rate as mammals. When winding down for hibernation, they can take a month to empty. also, it could well have passed something and eaten it - they do that. If given correct substrate, flipping is not a problem as they can flip themselves back again very easily. Obviously if kept on paper or similar, they will not be able to right themselves. It's important not to help them too much or they could come to rely on this, which may be detrimental if under lamps etc ;)

#26 newmummy

newmummy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

Hi, I'm changing the substrate today. I have sterilised topsoil but I've just checked your website sue and read about the coconut fibres!! what's best? Or do I mix? They have soil/sand mix at the mo and the do dig down.

#27 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

I use ordinary garden soil outside - no need to sterilise outdoors as the weather does it for you. Indoors you can use either but coconut is lighter, even when wet, so I use a mix of both ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users