• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 mm0625

mm0625

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

Here is she the hermann baby just hatched yesterday in days 58 since the egg laid. She took 30hours & 30mins to came out see the world. :)

Attached Files

#2 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

Isn't she beautiful?!  :)

What are you going to call her?

#3 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:13 PM

Congratulations on the new hermann baby. She looks so cute. I wish you the best of luck with her.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#4 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:28 PM

congratulations,she look's so cute! :)  :)

Jaynex

#5 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

Does she still have the attached matter or is that just something stuck to her? She must be kept on deep substrate if all yolk has been absorbed to prevent dehydration at this stage, as in nature, hatchlings will not emerge for several days and need to be able to dig down to survive ;)

Hope this helps ;)

#6 mm0625

mm0625

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:58 AM

Isn't she beautiful?!  :)
What are you going to call her?

Hi Graham,
Thank you. Yes she so beautiful. She called 'Bo Yin' because her mum called BoBo & dad called BB, so her given name follow her parent :) haha.. Am I sound silly?

#7 mm0625

mm0625

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:01 AM

Congratulations on the new hermann baby. She looks so cute. I wish you the best of luck with her.Kind RegardsFreddy

congratulations,she look's so cute! :)  :)
Jaynex

Freddy & Jaynex,
Thank you... :) I can't wait others eggs will hatch soon :)

#8 mm0625

mm0625

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:09 AM

Does she still have the attached matter or is that just something stuck to her? She must be kept on deep substrate if all yolk has been absorbed to prevent dehydration at this stage, as in nature, hatchlings will not emerge for several days and need to be able to dig down to survive ;)
Hope this helps ;)

Hi Wizzasmum,
Thanks for the advice, she don't have problem with her tummy now... All closed up within a day. I still keep her inside the incubator with a damp kitchen towel. She start eating dandelion last night. So, what substrate I should give her? I had setup her new home just a very simple for her just for time being, does she need to be dry place? See the picture plz advice... Thanks for help.

Attached Files

#9 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:33 AM

She needs the same sort of substrate that they live on in the wild, so soil or if you have coconut fibre there, that would be fine too. It needs to be watered like a plant pot so that she can choose to dig down in dry or wet areas, but definitely deep enough to dig down as tiny babies dry out very quickly and die if kept above the ground too long. The incubator is fine to keep things more humid, but it will need uvb light very soon, to help it's shell to stay hard ;) Lovely baby :D

#10 mm0625

mm0625

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:45 AM

She needs the same sort of substrate that they live on in the wild, so soil or if you have coconut fibre there, that would be fine too. It needs to be watered like a plant pot so that she can choose to dig down in dry or wet areas, but definitely deep enough to dig down as tiny babies dry out very quickly and die if kept above the ground too long. The incubator is fine to keep things more humid, but it will need uvb light very soon, to help it's shell to stay hard ;) Lovely baby :D

Hi Wizzasmum,
Thank you for that... She only tiny... Did she really need soil or coconut fibre for her? Cz it might go into her eye or hurting her? If I keep the new home in damp kitchen towel and warm for her all the time... Would she be fine for time being?

#11 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

Think about the wild. Tiny babies have exactly the same as the adults. Yes, some are lost, but this is mainly to predators or road kill. They need to be able to thermoregulate to stop other health problems and you will find if you put them onto anything they can dig down in, then they will, proving that this is a natural thing for them to do. Keeping them on paper is bad for their legs and is stressful, taking away what they would naturally do. Have a look at this link to show how Editha keeps hers ;)  http://www.graeca-ho...eger 2007 e.pdf

#12 mm0625

mm0625

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

Think about the wild. Tiny babies have exactly the same as the adults. Yes, some are lost, but this is mainly to predators or road kill. They need to be able to thermoregulate to stop other health problems and you will find if you put them onto anything they can dig down in, then they will, proving that this is a natural thing for them to do. Keeping them on paper is bad for their legs and is stressful, taking away what they would naturally do. Have a look at this link to show how Editha keeps hers ;)  http://www.graeca-ho...eger 2007 e.pdf

Wizzasmum, thanks for the advice. I knew how to keep the tortoises in wild... Because I had two female adults and two male adults in 14 years old now, since i boguht them when they're 1 years old. Is just because I haven't kept the baby just hatched... That why I need more advice regard the baby just hatched. If she can kept in as same as the adults tortoise with those top soil or coconut fibre or dried weed glass and mixed flowers as I normally gave my adults tortoises... That will be fine... I'll give her the same things.
Is only because she just hatched and I scared those soil or coconut fibre will hurt her eye ...that's why I still keep her inside the incubator with damp kitchen towel and damp giant vermiculite underneath so that she can dig in. :)
Anyway, I have some question to ask you regard applying the article 10 certificate. Can I PM you?
Thanks

#13 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:08 AM

Yes, feel free to PM me. If you are in UK, then things have changed slightly. First of all, both parents need to be microchipped and registered for you to be able to register the baby, so this would need to be done first. If they are already done, then you just need to apply for the little ones papers with the details you already hold. I'm just off to visit family,  but will forward you the details later unless anyone else does it first :D

Good luck

#14 mm0625

mm0625

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

Yes, feel free to PM me. If you are in UK, then things have changed slightly. First of all, both parents need to be microchipped and registered for you to be able to register the baby, so this would need to be done first. If they are already done, then you just need to apply for the little ones papers with the details you already hold. I'm just off to visit family,  but will forward you the details later unless anyone else does it first :D
Good luck

Hi Wizzasmum, thank you for the help...yes, I'm from UK anyway. Well, look forward to hear from you soon . I had PM you today.
All of my adults tortoises still don't have microchip yet... But I'm thinking give them microchip as soon as possible, unfortunately, I can't find VETERINARY do microchip for tortoise in Manchester :(

#15 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

Hi Wizzasmum, thank you for the help...yes, I'm from UK anyway. Well, look forward to hear from you soon . I had PM you today.
All of my adults tortoises still don't have microchip yet... But I'm thinking give them microchip as soon as possible, unfortunately, I can't find VETERINARY do microchip for tortoise in Manchester :(

There shouldn't be a problem in Manchester as there are several tortoise vets in the area. There is one in Chorlton Road, who I do not rate as a vet but who would be able to do microchips no problem. It's not just the chips though, they have to be registered with DEFRA too. Will forward you the form to fill in.

#16 mm0625

mm0625

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:11 PM

There shouldn't be a problem in Manchester as there are several tortoise vets in the area. There is one in Chorlton Road, who I do not rate as a vet but who would be able to do microchips no problem. It's not just the chips though, they have to be registered with DEFRA too. Will forward you the form to fill in.

Hi Wizzasmum , thank you so much for the help. :) I'll check my PM inbox .
Thanks again.

#17 mm0625

mm0625

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

Bo Yin new home .. 1st day she in her new home :) please give any advice if I have done any wrong :) thanks

Attached Files

#18 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

Hi Em,
If this is compost from a garden center it can contain chemicals and other additives and is unsuitable for torts.
Topsoil is the safest, most natural and best substrate to use. Hope this helps.
Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#19 mm0625

mm0625

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

Hi Em,If this is compost from a garden center it can contain chemicals and other additives and is unsuitable for torts.Topsoil is the safest, most natural and best substrate to use. Hope this helps.Take care.Kind RegardsFreddy

Hi Freddy... Thanks for the advice. Finally, I had use the organic fine coconut fibre mixed for her today. She love it. :) go YouTube for more video. My user is MM Yok.

#20 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

Sorry Em! That sounds fine. My mistake!
Apologies
Freddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users