32 replies to this topic

#21 mm0625

mm0625

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Sorry Em! That sounds fine. My mistake!ApologiesFreddy

No worry Freddy.. No need said sorry... :) is just me... Thought I have some compost and try give her... But decided to get some coconut fibre instead... She very happy when she in new home today :) bless her.

#22 mm0625

mm0625

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:22 AM

Hi everyone, here is my tiny baby first day in her new home video :)

#23 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

Hi Em,
The home video of your baby hermann made me smile. Thanks for sharing.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#24 mm0625

mm0625

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:13 AM

She eating dandelion :)

#25 mm0625

mm0625

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:22 AM

Hi Em,The home video of your baby hermann made me smile. Thanks for sharing.Kind RegardsFreddy

Freddy, she so active... Climb up & down all the time. Make me worry sometimes, scared she will hurt herself !
I have a quick question here, the weather getting cold this day now, how could I keep her warm in night time during her sleep time? I saw she digging herself, but her new home is only have a piece of wood board to cover half top. She will get cold in midnight. Can I use a small heat matt stick on the top of the cover to keep her warm? Or just leave it ?

#26 mm0625

mm0625

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:54 AM

She so tiny like £2 coin. :)

Attached Files

#27 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:51 AM

Always think of what they would have in the wild - tortoises are never seen basking on rocks, because they would burn from  underneath. Always have nothing more than soil or other substrate under the basking lamp to save from dehydration, never stones or slate.  Make sure the substrate is deep enough to dig into and they will not get cold overnight ;)

#28 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

Hello

congratulations on your new little hatchling,i loved the video she seemed to be enjoying herself,the rocks/stones look much bigger than her,like Oz says the warmth from your house should be enough for overnight,i use just topsoil for substrate and pieces of slate for feeding from.

Jaynex

#29 mm0625

mm0625

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:50 AM

Always think of what they would have in the wild - tortoises are never seen basking on rocks, because they would burn from  underneath. Always have nothing more than soil or other substrate under the basking lamp to save from dehydration, never stones or slate.  Make sure the substrate is deep enough to dig into and they will not get cold overnight ;)

Hi Wizzasmum, I have moved the stone away from the basking, the coconut fibre is deep enough for them to dig. They seem very enjoy in the new home. :)
I still not receive the form you send me to fill in for the Article 10 certificate! I had PM you. :)

Hi Em

I wouldn't worry about overnight temperatures unless your house is really freezing cold or has bad draughts.

Hello
congratulations on your new little hatchling,i loved the video she seemed to be enjoying herself,the rocks/stones look much bigger than her,like Oz says the warmth from your house should be enough for overnight,i use just topsoil for substrate and pieces of slate for feeding from.
Jaynex

Hi Oz & Jay,
Thanks for the advice, the temperature overnight is not too cold... It's around 18'c to 20'c. I think so be alright for them. They're digging overnight now :) I awake them in the morning to gave them bath & feed them :) but they starting fighting now :( I can't believe that...

#30 mm0625

mm0625

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:03 AM

Hi everyone, here is Boyin & Bonnie photos, Bonnie is 4days younger than Boyin. Both of them is from same parents, but the both of them shell colour is very different. Boyin look like mummy has darker shell colour & Bonnie look like daddy has light golden colour :)
I gave them bath every morning... Guess what...? They start fighting today :( will be alright to keep them together?
Here is Bonnie site in this forum...http://www.hermann-t...?showtopic=8511
Boyin is on the right & Bonnie is on the left
:)

Attached Files

#31 mm0625

mm0625

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:22 PM

Finally, I have 5 babies Hermann hatched in last month :)

Attached Files

#32 mm0625

mm0625

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

Please look at this baby Hermann just hatched last month, she got weird top shell!!! Is that normal for her? Don't know why she has an extra piece of her shell? It is normal for her when she growing?

Attached Files

#33 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

It's often to do with high incubation temps but does not affect the tortoise in any way. Are all your babies from the same clutch of eggs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users