Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:48 PM

Hi guys,
Is anyone starting their wind down yet as mine are still quite active and eating well.ive got them in the shed in their tortoise tables but as the tempts are still quite mild for this time of year im going to try ago til the end of the month before starting the wind down if temps will let me.is any1 else experiencing this?
Regards matt

#2 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

Hello Matt, mine seem to be winding themselves down!! I was feeding every other day but it wasn't being eaten so last weekend I stopped feeding. I gave bathed and weighed and will continue to do this whilst turning down the heat in Tort Lodge.
They were all very active and eating well up to the weekend. This time last year all but the older three were dug into the soil x hugs x x

#3 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

Hi Matt,
My tortoise is well and truly nearing the end of her wind-down. She goes down at the same time every year. Just another couple of days left before her hibernation. Best of luck with your torts everyone!
Kind Regards
Freddy

#4 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:51 PM

Thanks for the reply guys
Saying that just been out to turn their lights off and it does seem to be very chilly tonite so perhaps start the wind down in the next couple days!
Regards matt

#5 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

Is your tortoise hibernated naturally freddy or fridge hibernated?

#6 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

It is turning much colder at night now Matt. And the shorter days have some effect on the need to hibernate I think. X x x hugs x x

#7 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:17 PM

Yes i think your right their stella,perhaps im going to start shortening the times i have their lamps and lights on from tomorrow and start about thinking getting the fridge up and running :)

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:18 PM

Mine are just starting wind down and one has done a sneaky runner today, so hands and knees garden search tomorrow before it gets any colder. I expect them to be in the box by early November all being well ;) Temps are set to change by the weekend, so no going back then ;)

#9 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:35 PM

Haha i hope you are able to find the cheeky chappy sue as they are very good at hiding arnt they lol.yes ive noticed tonite on the weather forcast that the over night temperature in dropping to 7c so i think i better think about it tomorrow!i know we all worry when they are in hibernation but i will be glad of a little break as they do take a large part of my time up but will still be in and out of that shed couple times aday checking fridge temps lol.hope every1 has a successful wind down/hibernation this year :)
Regards matt

#10 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:02 PM

Oh she will be there somewhere, only been gone a day, so she will not be too deep down - I suspect the raised border, she thinks she is safe from being found there lol

#11 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:47 PM

Is your tortoise hibernated naturally freddy or fridge hibernated?

Hi Matt,
I hibernate my tort in the garage using the box method. Have done for the past 32 years. Thanks for asking.
Best wishes
Freddy

#12 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

My father has an old tort and she too hibernates succesfully in the garage,ive been thinking wether to just use the box method this year instead of fridge but will see lol
Regards matt

#13 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:56 PM

I do mine in the garage in a large hibernaculum that houses all my hibernating tortoises. It's only possible because the garage holds pretty stable temps and has the tortoise room at the back, away from any sun. Sun on metal garage doors can change the temperature drastically, as can windows, so all this has to be borne in mind when setting up hibernation quarters. I have back up heat set to come on below 5 degrees too, to prevent freezing.

#14 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:58 PM

All now locked inside for winddown - no more escapes lol

#15 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

Not trying to sound daft but whats a hibernaculum sue lol?well ive got an old brick out house with slated roof so im going to check the temps out there daily for the next couple weeks to see how steady the temps are and mybe try them in there this year with a fridge set up for back up just in case.yes all mine are on wind down now too,im going to wind them down for roughly 3 weeks so aiming to put them in on the 1st of november,do you think this is long enough sue?
Regards matt

#16 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:56 AM

It depends on what weight they are Matt. If adults, say over 1.5 kg then go for four weeks, but if smaller three will be OK. It does depend on how much heat they have had too, to make sure they are empty ;) Your outhouse sounds ideal, have a heater and stat ready just in case we have arctic conditions again ;)

#17 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

Right ok sue thanks for that,well the heaviest female is weighing around 920 grammes,so im guessing thats under a kilo?yes definatly sue will set a heater up just incase.well they are having around 3 hours of heat in the morning now then im turning it off,do you think i should up this?
Regards matt

#18 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

Right ok sue thanks for that,well the heaviest female is weighing around 920 grammes,so im guessing thats under a kilo?yes definatly sue will set a heater up just incase.well they are having around 3 hours of heat in the morning now then im turning it off,do you think i should up this?
Regards matt

No, that's fine, so long as they are making use of it. You might need to lower temps a little if they are sitting under it all the time, or increase them if they are just hiding away. It's not written in stone and what you are looking for is slight activity and passing of poo ;)  Mine have reacted big time to this sudden drop in temps today :( Suddenly it feels like winter - so glad I got them all in yesterday ;)

#19 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:13 PM

Ok sue,yes they are straight out basking as soon as the lamps go on and dont retreat until i turn them off so they are getting enough basking,also bathing them every other day for 30-45 mins and they are all passing poo and urinates which is good :)yes mine have been hit hard too,in the mornings they are all dug deep until lamps come on
Thanks sue

#20 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:48 PM

Oh, meant to say my hibernaculum is a large 2 inch thick walled, polystyrene box 4ft x  2 x 2 I box all my torts up, then stack them in the big box with labels for weights, names etc. They go in here from November to March ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users