• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bourne

Bourne

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:38 PM

Hi everyone. I wonder if any one can help us. Our daughter has a small tortoise called Sheila. She's about 5 inches long and 4-5 years of age (the tortoise, not the daughter!) we have noticed that her eyes seem to be very dry, and need coaxing with cotton wool pads and cotton buds to gently dampen them. We worry that she can't see to eat, etc. I' m afraid we don't know which breed she is, but the pet shop suggested she is one of the most common breeds. Any advice would be gratefully received!
Many thanks for your time.

#2 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

Hi there,
Im no expert but how are you keeping sheila?could be that the humidity levels are very low and the surounding temperatures too hot.are you batheing her regulary?try and upload a pic of her then can have a look at the problem and to see what species she is.
Regards matt

#3 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:09 PM

Hi there,
Im no expert but how are you keeping sheila?could be that the humidity levels are very low and the surounding temperatures too hot.are you batheing her regulary?try and upload a pic of her then can have a look at the problem and to see what species she is.
Regards matt

Agreed! The substrate needs to be damp and regular baths too. Did you get her from a petshop? If so they should know what species she is . If you bought her from a shop and she had no certificates with her, then most likely a horsfield, which are burrowing tortoises, so used to living underground, where humidity is high. It will also help to know what substrate you are using. Soil is best as many are far too drying and can cause the problems you are seeing with Sheila.

Love the name ;)

#4 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:20 PM

If bought recently from a pet shop then theres a good chance the little one could be dyhydrated by the sounds of it so plenty of batheing is in order.are you keeping her in a vivarium?

#5 Bourne

Bourne

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:43 PM

Hi there all. Thanks for your help. We are keeping her in a vivarium as supplied from the pet shop she came from. She came with a Komodo kit with a heat wall, light, moss, substrate, which is a dry sandy substance. That could be an issue there! Should she bathe in warm tap water, or should some other additive be used? Presumably I should change the substrate for soil? the temp in the tank is kept in the green on the gauge. What do you think?

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:00 PM

You need to get her out of the viv and into an open topped accommodation. Temperatures cannot be regulated in vivs unless very large such as 4ft + Any sand needs to be removed and replaced with either soil that is watered or coconut fibre which has been soaked to hydrate it. Just plain water is need, never use any additives. Keeping a tortoise at any permanent temperature is not good for their health as they need to be able to thermoregulate - what temperature is 'green' ? You need a basking temperature of 32 degrees, with a variation to below 20 degrees at the cool end of the habitat. I would open the doors and let some air in and make the substrate deep enough for the tortoise to bury into. For now water the dry substrate so that it takes on board enough water to make it damp but not muddy. What are you feeding the tortoise? Try to upload pictures so that we can see what species it is. What species did the pet shop tell you that Sheila was?  

#7 Bourne

Bourne

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:43 PM

Hi guys. Just to update you, Sheila has a new soil substrate, ranging from 2 to 6 inches deep, which
H will be kept moist. She's on a new bathing regime, I.e. bathed every day. Temp in tank ranges from about 15c to 20c from one end to the other. We'll see how she gets on! Thanks all for your help. I'll try and post a pic so we can determine the breed.

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:27 AM

Your gradient needs to get up to 32 under the hot spot and then down as low as possible at the other end. They need this temp to digest food, but need to be able to get away from it too ;)

#9 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:33 PM

Hello and welcome

a very friendly forum,would love to see some pictures of sheila :)

Jaynex

#10 Bourne

Bourne

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

Attached File  image.jpg   34.62KB   1 downloads

#11 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:16 PM

Looks like a horsefield to me :)

#12 Bourne

Bourne

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:32 PM

Thanks.

#13 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:39 PM

It's a horsfield (without the 'e') and needs deep substrate kept damp below ground to allow tunnelling and to maintain hydration. It's overfed and would probably benefit from hibernation rather than year round feeding ;)

#14 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:41 PM

That is one of my horsfields in my avatar - lovely little torts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users