Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:11 PM

Hi guys,
I heard this big thing about the false black widow outbreak so went searching tonight outside my house when it got dark and the outcome is that i must of found atleast 20+.ive seen these before but never took no notice.
Attached File  image.jpg   42.84KB   1 downloads

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:17 AM

I'm not normally bothered by spiders.... but I do suffer nasty reactions to insect bites..... :unsure2:

I may go on a hunt too.... there are a fair few webs being spun in my garden at the moment. Me and my son sat watching a spider a few weeks ago (before all the media panic set in) that looks different to the normal species we see out there.... I may have a closer look.

I think for the majority of people these spiders don't pose too much of a threat as long as you don't disturb them. We actually have far more biting species inhabiting the UK than most people realise. http://www.nhm.ac.uk...ites/index.html

All this negative media attention has started a national panic! :lol:

#3 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

Yes they mean no harm kelly,the male which is in the picture are alot smaller than the females,the females are at least 3-4 time larger and they are not pretty lol.i picked 1 of them up last night and made no effort to bite me,its accidental when bites occur,like any living thing,if threatened or hurt then will fight back so unless us people evade there personal space then theres no reason to get bittin lol.they only appear at night,i found they are living in the air vents on the side of our house and the down pipes.have a look tonight and let me know if you find any kelly lol
Regards matt

#4 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

Oh kelly dont advise you picking 1 up then if your allergic to insect bites lol

#5 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:29 PM

I am not reading anymore Matt... I don't like spiders at the best of times and find it really tricky to be 'brave' when I see them when children are around x x x hugs x

#6 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:45 PM

I like spiders and would never hurt them stella but as you say with children can be a bit risky thats why im thinking of going out tonight to get rid of some as we have a young daughter just incase
Matt x

#7 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:10 PM

I love spiders and regularly save them out of sinks! :laugh: The girls at work look absolutely horrified when I gently scoop them out and carry them outside....

I've no intentions of picking one of these up though..... I'll give these ones a respectful wide birth.... just in case! :rofl: If I do need to save one from inside the house it will be by using a glass and a piece of card I think rather than picking it up directly.

#8 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

That's my technique with anything crawly, Kelly x x hugs x

#9 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

Thankfully we don't seem to get many spiders in the house, x x hugs x x

#10 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:31 AM

I hope the critters don't decide to descend on me, I'm a severe arachnophobic!  :cry:

#11 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

spiders,i can't stand them i just run in the other direction,my hubby laughs at me,we have one of those long poles with the plastic section at the end so they can be taken outside without hurting.

Jaynex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users