• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pam

pam

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

Hi I plan to hibernate my tortoise Daisy for the first time this year, as she seems to be slowing down compared to other years, she is 150 gr and 8.8cm  Im planning on using the fridge method, I have been doing a lot of reading and I plan to follow Kellys plan which is a great help.

What I would like to know is, ive seen that 10% weight loss is ok is that right? is that from the start of wind down or during hebernation aswel

Also do i need a hydrometer or will putting several thermometers in place be just as good.

And as shes not very active much and has little interest in food I was going to wind her down beginning of  November and hopefully go for 8 weeks.

Thanks any help or advice is very much appreciated.

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:47 PM

What I would like to know is, ive seen that 10% weight loss is ok is that right? is that from the start of wind down or during hebernation aswel

Also do i need a hydrometer or will putting several thermometers in place be just as good.

The 10% weight loss is from the start of the wind down. I found that my tortoise only lost about 10g during the three weeks that he went without food, then he lost no weight at all for the first 6 weeks in the fridge. 

#3 pam

pam

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:13 PM

Thanks Kelly, she's not intersted in food at the moment only eating small amount what if she loses between now and wind down?

#4 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:08 PM

Try to keep your basking temperature, ambient temperatures and light levels up for the next few weeks to keep her active, that way she shouldn't lose too much weight before you officially start the wind down. You need to trick her into thinking it's still summer, or else her natural instincts will kick in and she'll start to wind herself down naturally.

At the size and weight she is, you don't really want her to go any more than three weeks without food before popping her in the fridge or else she will lose too much body mass.

See how she goes and if she's still intent on not eating you may need to bring her hibernation forward a bit. x

#5 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

I agree ozric,in the summer months mine are a very good weight but it comes to the wind down they can loose quite abit of weight and only borderlining sometimes to be safe to hibernate using the jacksons ratio as a guide line.but i thought the 10% loss from start of hibernation but like you said theres not any real answers to wether this 10% is from the start of the wind down to the end of hibernation or what :/

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:30 PM

Interesting! I rarely have much of a weight loss if anything until wind down starts. Some of my torts start wind down naturally and so I include that first week that they choose not to eat as part of their wind down period. If they are given the usual levels of heat up to wind down, then appetite is usually good, except for the odd blip when we have really bad weather periods for longer than usual. I weigh at the end of wind down and use this as the start of weight loss period, as wind down is merely emptying the gut and not proper weight loss as such ;)

#7 pam

pam

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:02 PM

Thanks every one for the replies, as yet she hasnt lost any weight, I must admit shes sleeping more I only hope I can keep her going another couple of weeks before wind down, im trying everything I can to keep her as active, temps lights etc.

#8 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

I find when they are outside full time they substain a very good weight but when bringing then in for the wind down i find they drop abit of weight,my problem is i weigh them too often so each day they are weighing different so i think i will start weighing not so often to get an accurate results

#9 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:18 PM

That is prob due to hydration issues Matt, as outdoors is naturally a lot higher humidity. Mine go straight into their garage/shed hides for wind down, so still not as dry as indoors.

#10 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:03 PM

Yh i spose thats very true sue,i bathe and water the substrate regularing but obviously cant beat the out doors :)

#11 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:13 PM

It's strange isn't it, no matter how hard we try, it just doesn't work indoors lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users